PDA

View Full Version : Continental Airlines RNAV Approaches?

GalaxySam
31st Mar 2003, 21:00
Does anyone know if Continental Airlines conducts RNAV approaches to LNAV/VNAV minima on their 757/767 aircraft? I believe they do on their 737s, but can't confirm this either. Also, does anyone know of any U.S. carriers besides Alaska Airlines that fly RNAV approaches? (Either LNAV/VNAV or RNP) Thanks.

Carbon Life Form
7th Apr 2003, 11:58
I think the answer to your question is yes, indeed we do Rnav/Lnav approaches on the 756, in the case of a non precision approach we use a DDA or derived decision altitude <50' above mda used as a DH> after following a vnav generated glideslope.

Happy to answer any other questions.

4dogs
7th Apr 2003, 21:05
Carbon Life Form,

Is the required navigation sensor GPS or IRS?

What FMSs are fitted?

Is the approach approval based on an RNP standard? If so, is it RNP 0.3 or less?

Thanks in advance,

None
9th Apr 2003, 09:09
I'm not with CO.

Our 757/767 fleet is permitted to operate on RNAV departure procedures and arrivals only. Approaches are not yet approved (though they are in the FMS database).

We do use LNAV/VNAV for non-precision approaches.

The fleet is a mix, with only about 40% equipped with GPS/Pegasus.

Lump Jockey
12th Apr 2003, 22:54
In my embarassment, I must ask, what's a RNAV app?:(

None
13th Apr 2003, 05:28
RNP/RNAV Juneau, AK (http://www.boeing.com/commercial/aeromagazine/aero_12/navigation_alaska.html)

Ops Specs also consider certain other approaches to be RNAV. CYJT (Stephenville) has a stand-alone GPS approach on Jepp page 12-1 with the title, "RNAV (GPS) Rwy 02" and while this is technically not an RNAV approach, Ops specs treats it as one.

Carbon Life Form
13th Apr 2003, 06:50
All our 75/6 aircraft have the pegasus FMS with GPS updating and
we operate to an RNP of .3 on non precision approaches.

GPS updating is not mandatory provided the RNP is met.