PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best place to do an intensive PPL?

cakeso
31st Mar 2003, 19:11
I'm completely new to this forum so apologies if this type of question gets asked (and answered) all the time but I couldn't find anything on the forum so here goes . . .

I'm keen to do an intensive PPL and would appreciate any advice on where to go and where not to go. Although I understand the benefits of training in the UK, this is pretty much a non-starter for financial reasons so I've been looking at the USA.

After a bit of web searching, the schools that sound good to me are in Florida and are :-

Orlando Flight Training

Anyone know anything about these 2 schools?
Any thoughts very much appreciated guys!

Cheers

Cakeso

FlyingForFun
31st Mar 2003, 19:39
Cakeso,

Please read my comments on this thread (http://www.pprune.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85592). If you can't afford to train in the UK, will you be able to afford to fly in the UK when you return from wherever you decide to go? Maybe you'd be better off looking into gliding or microlights, both of which can be much cheaper?

Having said that, the USA is a very popular place to go for training. Both the schools you mention are discussed fairly regularly, do a search for them and you'll find plenty of information. Be prepared to do a few hours of dual instruction when you return - this is to familiarize yourself with UK airspace and radio-speak, and also to get used to the British weather (which is very different to the weather you can expect in Florida!)

Good luck, and have fun!

FFF
-----------

Irishwingz
1st Apr 2003, 05:02
Hey there newbie

Have you thought about SA? its cheap (roughly £2750 for 4 week PPL incl accomadation), the weather is good and the training is by all accounts excellent. Plenty of Irish and UK guys (and girls hopefully:} ) go there, I'm heading myself in the autumn. Its easy to convert to JAR when you home but you can excercise all its privilages at home with no problems - you can even revalidate it in the UK.

For more info send me a PM or do searches on this and 'African Aviation' under PPL South Africa.

Good luck Sir

:} :} Wingz