PDA

View Full Version : how to convert frozen JAA ATPL into FAA PPL

addib
31st Mar 2003, 19:07
I am trying to convert my JAA ATPL into a FAA PPL to fly some ME in the USA. I have alredy sent the Verification of Authenticity of Foreign License, Rating, and Medical Certification form.
The response was that the FAA had verified my certificate etc. to be current and that I was authorized to apply for a FAA certificate issued on the basis of my foreign license.

The question is, what do I do now...:confused:
Is the license ready for me at the appropriate FSDO or is there another form I have to fill out.

Flyer Flier
1st Apr 2003, 19:49
I've just been through all this.... on the form that you applied to the FAA head office in Oklahoma for your verification letter, there was a line that required you to state which FSDO you wished to pick up your licence from. That FSDO will have a copy of your verification letter and they will deal with you. Basically they will give you another form to fill out some flying details and then they will return with a very unimpressive piece of A4 paper which is your temporary US Pilots Certificate. The real thing will be mailed to your home address at a later date. Note I needed to change the FSDO that I nominated on my initial application, I simply faxed my new FSDO request to Oklahoma and they actioned it immediately no problem. All in all, an excellent and speedy service. Note I had to make a prior appointment with the FSDO for security requirements.
For anyone else reading this who wants to get a US validation on their UK licence go to http://registry.faa.gov/airmen.asp for all the forms and info.
Hope you enjoy your flying in the States as much as we did.
Cheers FF;)

addib
1st Apr 2003, 22:46
thanks alot FF

So that I understand it correctly
I dont have to send any more forms just book an appointment at the FSDO and show up, fill out a few flying details and then I get my temporary US pilot certificate. Is it really so easy?

agroflyer
2nd Apr 2003, 00:57
There is a new Advisory circular about that, it should take about 60 days for validation.

Where do you intend to go flying?

Don't get tricked by the ads, what you see is not what you get!

Chears

Flyer Flier
6th Apr 2003, 22:19
Dear Addib,
Yes, it really is that easy. From your first post, you already have your validation letter, so all you need to do is turn up at the FSDO. My validation letter arrived in under 10 days, believe that the phrase is "up to" 60 days. There is a link to all the FSDOs through the FAA web page stated in my previous post. Use the contact details there to arrange your appointment and you can use your temporary US licence as soon as you walk out the FSDO door. I was in the Washington FSDO only about 15 minutes and they could not have been more helpful.
Note you will need a check flight before you launch off from your chosen rental FBO and there was some discussion on whether a Biannual Flight Review (BFR) was required to make my new US Pilots Certificate valid (even though based on a current JAA licence) . It seems open to some debate depending how you interpret all the different regulations, therefore I chose the path of least resistance and played it safe by simply doing my initial check out as a BFR with a suitable instructor. Thus I am safe for 24 months anyhow without any comeback.
For anyone's info, we rented from AngelAir at Stellar Airpark in Phoenix and had a great time flying around Arizona and Utah. Highly recommend AngelAir for their helpfulness, as the boss lent us his own personal plane when our rental went tech during one of our gang's check outs. http://www.flyangelair.com
Cheers FF
:D

Long Beach CFII
7th Apr 2003, 12:37
Just for your information a Flight Review is required and this can be done as an aircraft checkout with a club instructor anywhere. It consists of a minimum 1 hour of ground instruction and 1 hour of flight instruction...make sure you get a 61.56 signoff, or endorsement before you fly solo etc.
I have previously posted what to expect the Flight Review to consist of, the thread was "differences between UK and US flying" or something like that.
This is a regulatory requirement to "validate" your license, and is similar to almost every other country in the world.
Hope you have fun flying in the States

Peter

addib
9th Apr 2003, 21:42
Thanks for all your help.

I´ve called the FSDO for an appointment and it was no problem the validation took only 2 days!! :D

cheers Addib