PDA

View Full Version : Invisible Airfields

Kolibear
31st Mar 2003, 17:52
I flew into Fenland yesterday for the first time. If you've never been there, its a flat grass airfield surrounded by other flat grass fields. The GPS was shouting at me 'Its 3 miles away - straight ahead', but I didn't click on it until I saw an aircraft taxiing, at which point it all became blindingly obvious.

Are there any other airfields which are 'obvious when visible', but impossible to see? Do you have a favourite?

Lydd is notorious for being invisible, I know of people who have flown over it and not seen it and I'm sure there are others too.

Mike Cross
31st Mar 2003, 18:03
I've had the same problem with Duxford and with Old Warden. On both occaisons I didn't see them until I was in their overhead (but above 2000 ft).

If I hadn't done it myself I would find it difficult to believe that anyone could fail to see an airfield whose location they knew and which they were looking out for.

I think a contributory factor was that as I approached I had reduced the scale of the display on the GPS. I suspect that during the flight I had got used to the larger scale and so was looking too far ahead for the airfield.

Now I try to pick a landmark near to the airfield that is easy to spot from the air and then visually locate the field in relation to the landmark.

Popham is easy to find because it is on the north edge of the biggest wood for miles around in the fork of the M3 and A303. Similarly with Compton Abbas. It's far easier to pick up the wood on the south side of the field and then the light beacon than it is to look for the field itself.

Mike

FlyingForFun
31st Mar 2003, 18:04
White Waltham. Despite having logged well over half of all my flying time from there, I still can't see it sometimes! I know I'll get the hang of it one day.....

FFF
-----------

rustle
31st Mar 2003, 18:06
mrcross "I've had the same problem with Duxford ..."

DUXFORD!! The USAF museum is bigger than some small towns :p

NB, please remember to bring your specs next Saturday ;)

Aussie Andy
31st Mar 2003, 18:27
Lydd..!

Davidt
31st Mar 2003, 18:57
Most fam strips impossible to find at least on the first visit.

Is it Brimpton on the edge of the Aldermaston restricted area? Only found that with the help of a very nice man from Farnborough radar.

Farm strip just north of the OTR VOR went round that 1/2 dozen times with the guy on the ground talking me through it til we finally saw it.

Whats the trick for spotting grass strips in grass fields?

bluskis
31st Mar 2003, 19:21
And even if you can normally see a particular airfield, a change of season, say a grass yellow hot summer, or lots of flooded fields, or snow covered countryside, and the airfield disappears.

GPS has some uses.

Keef
31st Mar 2003, 20:11
Little Gransden. Without the GPS we'd have given up!

Chateau La Chassagne. There are several sets of coordinates published for it. Turns out they are the two runway ends and the aircraft parking area. I still didn't find it till the man on the ground told me where to look.

alphaalpha
31st Mar 2003, 20:27
Breighton yesterday (Sunday) despite sunshine and good vis and approaching from the South, with the sun behind me. Didn't see it until less than 1 mile away.

Overhead joins are discouraged because of aerobatics, so the last two miles or so was at 1000 feet aal, which didn't make it easy, plus looking out for the aerobating aircraft.

However, the variety of aircraft on the ground and in the hangars made it all worth while.

Agree with Keef about Little Gransden. I know the area well, but still find Little Gransden is very difficult -- here you have to look out for the gliders, rather than aerobats.

AA

Mike Cross
1st Apr 2003, 00:09
Aaaaaarrrghhhh! :yuk:

I should have more common sense at my advanced age than to confess my failings in front of you Rustle.

Anyway you're P1 on Saturday so it'll be your fault if we get lost.

Besides which I know what it looks like now.

As it happens, it WAS the USAF museum that I recognised, the tarmac being hidden by the enormity of the throbbing pulsating C85 that adorns the nose of the Luscombe.

And before you suffer from premature congratulation remember you may need a lift in something with superior prop clearance :ok: if the runway's not finished in time

Mike

greatorex
1st Apr 2003, 02:07
Ausie Andy's got it in one. Nowhere in the world is quite like Lydd. I've said it before and I'll say it again - PAINT THE STRIP DAY-GLO ORANGE!!!!! :D ;) :D ;)

They're a great bunch of people down there though (once you find the d@mn place). . . .

Final 3 Greens
1st Apr 2003, 02:29
Once had a strange experience approaching Leeds from about 3 miles in haze - could see the warehouses to the north and other local landmarks, but not the field, until I saw a F50 on the apron taxiing and a glint of sunlight off the fin caught my eye.

Whirlybird
1st Apr 2003, 02:57
Tricks for spotting grass strips in grass fields:-

1) The field has to be long enough for a runway. So that eliminates a number of them.
2) It's got to be accessible by road, so look for a road on one side of the field.
3) There's likely to be some sort of building on one side of the field, probably hangar shaped/sized.
4) There's likely to be at least one or two other aircraft, if you look closely.
5) A runway is likely to be of shorter grass than the rest of the field, although at this time of year that isn't always the case. And farmers do have a habit of mowing strips of grass too. BUT you have to be able to get to both ends of the runway, or turn round at one end and backtrack, so look for taxiways or turning circles...farmers don't do them.
6) Finally...look for a windsock.

Floppy Link
1st Apr 2003, 03:14
Kolibear..

does Fenland still have the auto scrap yard next door? It was '85 when I last went there.
Getting old - time has fun when you're flying!
Russell

big.al
1st Apr 2003, 03:53
Netherthorpe. Not easy to spot until you're used to where to find it. Has the shortest licenced runway in the UK. When the sun is in your eyes or the sky is hazy, you can bladder around for ages trying to see the place!

Never been to Fenland, but once used it as a turning point en-route from EGNF to Norwich. Funnily enough, had no problem spotting the airfield on the way down, but on the way back I couldn't see the place for looking!

Windy Militant
1st Apr 2003, 04:07
Finding them is one thing landing is another. At the last PFA rally to be held at Wroughton a number of people landed on the taxiway because on the approach you saw a yellow strip between two areas of green. That however was the taxiway not the runway. I was flown round the circuit on the Sunday afternoon and despite having helped to set out the runway markers and spent the whole weekend there I was hard pressed to pick out the runway :\

Kingy
1st Apr 2003, 09:17
Shobdon from the South is very hard to spot, it just seems to blend in with the rising ground behind it. I heard that it was the second most 'not found' airfield in the UK.., or perhaps my instructor was just putting me at ease before cutting me lose for my first X-C..:D

Kingy

Kolibear
1st Apr 2003, 14:26
Floppy-link,

Yes, Fenland still has the scrap-yard, the landmark that I'd forgotten about. The in-laws used to live nearby and I had plans to visit, so I'd been to the airfield by road and knew roughly what to look for.

FNG
1st Apr 2003, 15:20
On my skills test I was given a diversion to Shotteswell, just north west of Banbury. Completely invisible. I eventually saw the tiny windsock after flying around in circles for a bit. The examiner was greatly amused.

Since then I have, like everyone else, failed to see Fenland (like Brig a Doon, it only appears once every hundred years) and Lydd. I also recall one fine day with an instructor just before my test, after a wizz-bang sortie involving instrument flying, a practice pan, etc etc, when neither of us could find Stapleford. We think that it had gone to a parellel dimension (some call this Essex) but then came back again.

I can usually see White Waltham, except when coming back from the west, when I am too busy crashing into the non existent mast near Reading.

knobbygb
1st Apr 2003, 15:28
Skegness - the turning point on my skills test navex. Neither I nor the examiner could see it. So I lied - he seemed happy. I'd been told beforehand that it was 'just next to a caravan park'. Easy I thought, but anyone who's been to skegness knows that everything is just next to a caravan park.

Fenland - you've got me worried now - I'm supposed to be stopping there on the way home from Duxford on Saturday. Might give it a miss (literally!). Where's this scrapyard in relation to the airfield then? Any more clues?

david viewing
2nd Apr 2003, 20:22
Trim, about 15mi W of Dublin airport, is a private strip and offers the invariably friendly Irish welcome to visitors.

On my first trip there, I had the co-ordinates in the GPS, a hand off from Dublin radar saying it was 12 O'clock 2 miles and a frequency to call which was immediately answered.

The response to my call was something like "G-XXXX, have you in sight, suggest you turn south and follow the river about 2 miles". 2 Miles later, no sign of field, town of Trim coming up, something not right here... so call again "negative field in sight"

A short pause, then "G-XXXX - you are the blue and white Cessna?" Nope - no wonder I couldn't find the field!

(All Irish airfields are PPR and some are very hard to spot. The owner will often give you landmarks, like the Boyne river in the case of Trim)

Hersham Boy
2nd Apr 2003, 22:09
When I was v low hours I couldn't imagione how I was ever going to spot the green field that is Redhill. and then someone opinted out that there's another much larger and VERY easy to spot airfield right next door!

Doh...

I know Lydd is difficult to spot when you look for it but the coastline and Dungeness always help me!

Hersh

BlueRobin
2nd Apr 2003, 22:15
Pah! Shotteswell isn't invisible, but then again, I would say that because it's but a matter of a few miles south of my house.

But anyway...

Sage advice time, esp. for low-wing pilots.

"If you can't see the airfield, you're probably flying over the top of it".

Try the Clacton farm strip course on the Cub. Really hones your airfield recognition :-) Oh and I hear stiknruda's home strip is hard to see with just a few pilots landing off a bit off strip...

FNG
2nd Apr 2003, 22:34
The bit about low wing aircraft is true. I am resolved that from now on I shall approach all airfields upside down.

PA38
3rd Apr 2003, 01:43
Welshpool on my QXC when I did find it way down there in that valley, it looked too small:oh:
But once on the ground knew if I could land on what is no wider than an A road (18mtrs) then I could land anywhere:D
Then came the 12knt cross wind at tatenhill, but that is another story:eek:

Martinburney
4th Apr 2003, 04:15
Hi

Although many of the Airstrips are listed in Pooleys, Afe, Jeppesen/ Bottlang, Lockyears giving map locations.

I feel that an airstrip owner, should be legally obligated, to register with the CAA, regardless of being licensed, or having official planning permission, giving their exact locations, on a large scale ordnance survey plan.

One of the main reasons, that many farmers like to keep quiet about their own strips, is because they do not have planning permission.

Regards Martin

KCDW
4th Apr 2003, 05:00
Agree – Lydd. What’s barmy about Lydd is that it is not even hidden in miles of countryside – it’s right by the sea next to Dungeness – you think you can’t possibly miss it but you do.

Headcorn is a good contender. Additional fun at Headcorn is that Jamie tends to move the runway to either side (bit like a cricket wicket), so that at the height of summer you can get 3 lanes to choose from :)

Prof Denzil Dexter
4th Apr 2003, 05:34
Martinburney,

The last thing i would want overhead my own strip would be hordes of noisy aircraft roaring around and annoying the neighbours, whilst looking at my bright orange windsock!

Also not convinced about having my strip location advertised 'by law' for all to see. If I choose to license it, then I would expect it's location to be advertised, but as an unlicensed strip through choice, its invisible to all except for those who know where it is or those who i invite to fly in. Since when has it been illegal to operate from my own lawn for <28 days without planning permission?

Anyone remember that apocryphal story of the Welsh farmer, who was fed up with constant overflights by RAF FJ's? He painted 'Pi$$ off Biggles' on his barn roof.....This immediately attracted more RAF FJ's, hoping to see the new 'landmark'

Same goes for a big orange windsock in the middle of the country...Keep it low profile, dont have a marked out strip and only put up the windsock when you fly......

Kolibear
4th Apr 2003, 15:55
How many airfields have their name painted on the grass to help passing aviators?

Thurrock has it painted on a building and Rochester used to have it painted on the grass.

Are there any more??

foghorn
4th Apr 2003, 16:04
Cranfield. Not that you'd miss it though with the hangars, huge Nissan offices and 1400m tarmac runway.