PDA

View Full Version : cpl(sep) or cpl(mep)

Mintflavour
31st Mar 2003, 15:34
Just looking up for schools on the internet for CPL training and came across the option for CPL SEP or CPL MEP.
At the end of the day I want to get my ATPL frozen with may the possibility of doing some instructing inbetween. What the benefits if any, in doing a CPL MEP compared compared to doing a CPL SEP then doing a Multi before I do the IR.

Also what happens to your licence If I did a CPL SEP then later did a Multi Rating, will your licence be upgraded from a CPL SE to a CPL ME automatically or does it involve more tests?

Any help will be appriciated

Thanks

Mint

African Drunk
31st Mar 2003, 18:27
The CPL is a license and MEP is a rating you add on, there is no CPL MEP. For the CPL do the flying in a SEP the test is hard and don't make your life more difficult by flying any a/c more complex than you have to.

Penworth
31st Mar 2003, 19:38
Then again, the IR test is even harder so the more multi hours you have before sitting it, the easier it should be (or at least, you'll be able to spend less time thinking about how to fly the aircraft, and can spend more time on other aspects of the flight).

Also, at some schools it can work out cheaper doing a combined CPL and ME course than doing them separately. For example, at Leeds, 25 hour CPL - £4195, 28 hour CPL with ME - £4995.

Dude~
31st Mar 2003, 21:48
t is not strictly 'cheaper', just a rehash of hours. Do a CPL SEP and you fly 25hrs. Do it with a MEP and you fly 28hrs (8multi) DO a CPL SEP and a separate Multi and you pay more but fly 32hrs, which is best? More hrs = more experience...?

firepig
1st Apr 2003, 04:16
Its a lot of money all at once, but it worked for me :
25 hrs in an Arrow for the CPL, then straight on with 15 hours in the same Arrow IR, then 15 hours IR in a Turbo Arrow, then 6 hours in a Seneca ME, and straight on with a further 15 hours in the Seneca IR. Almost at the end of the Seneca IR time I did 5 hours in a Sim to hone up the holds etc. I did the CPL S/Test on a good day somewhere in the middle of the S/E IR, and the ME S/Test immediately before the 170/A. Flying the Turbo Arrow was only slightly more money than the N/A Arrow, but had the same instrument fit as the Seneca, and almost the same speeds etc. I reckoned that once I started, I didn't want to stop, so it was worth waiting until I got the money together for all of it - and I got a lot of good quality hours, and a first time IR.