PDA

View Full Version : Got my IMC! Some thoughts.

KCDW
31st Mar 2003, 02:42
Did it today after an intensive 2 week course.

I had just 2 weeks back in the UK to do it, and all this lovely haze didn't stop the course.

15 hours 20 mins. 88% in ground exam.

Some thoughts:

I am absolutely positive that my MFS practice at home helped atune me to the scan and the principles. Definitely kept me to 15 hours - and therefore a financial saving.

If you don't have to - don't do an intensive course. 1 to 2 hours a day, every day, under foggles is really tiring.

As usual, it is all in the preparation. My personal little wall was operating the radios and communicating under pressure. We've all been there in the PPL - brain's maxed out just flying the thing, then they want to talk to you... So as part of my prep, I wrote out a list of the key phases of the flight, and a list of the radios (Navs and Coms, ADFs and DME) to be tuned and idented at each phase. Also included the likely TRPACER call on the list when entering the ATZ.

Another tip is to get as many of the radios tuned on the ground as possible. This reduces the workload immensely, so you can concentrate on flying.

As usual, the Confuser is invaluable in helping you pass. It surprises me that the CAA allow revision of questions almost identical to the real papers.

Finally: FREDA, FREDA, FREDA. Particularly the D bit, if you let that HI precess too much... you're scuppered.

Do I think it was worthwhile? I think so. The reason for the non emphatic answer, is that it is clear in my own mind that even after doing the course, I will be reluctant to enter a strange, busy ATZ in real IMC for a hold and a letdown, without another pilot with me. The workload in those situations is too much at this stage in my flying career IMHO. As part of keeping current with procedure letdowns, I have promised myself visits with my instructor to a few more local ATZs that have one.

On the other hand, do I feel confident about flying in cloud? - yes. Do I feel confident using Navaids? - yes. Will I feel confident getting back to base in marginal weather? - yes. Do I feel that my flying technique has improved overall - yes (never again will I happiliy lose 300', simply by not paying enough attention).

So all in all - money well spent. I know there are quite a few Ppruners doing the IMC just now - how are you getting on?

tomcs
31st Mar 2003, 05:41
I agree i think its really good fun...however i hate foggles! They are so painful. Me and my instructor varied things a bit and we went via Airways to Jersey and Alderney for some cheap approaches :) (Yes he has an IR!). In fact the first flight i did after i got my IMC was a flight into Bournemouth Int from Old Sarum. It was 900' cloud base extending up to about 6000 from what i could make out. I was in cloud all the way and did a radar vectored ILS, and boy does it feel good when the runway pops out infront of you after 25 mins of being in cloud!

Tom