PDA

View Full Version : Gatwick rail link - first in Europe?

akerosid
30th Mar 2003, 02:51
I believe LGW was one of the first airports in Europe to have a rail link when it was built in 1961 (?); I also believe it was the first airport in Europe to be planned with a rail link from inception.

I'm drafting a reply to the DfT's latest report on runway capacity, suggesting a new runway. While I'm not opposed to this, one of the key problems at LGW, I believe, has been that despite this first (the railway link) it has been left behind and it seems that there is little point in building a new runway unless the airport can be made more attractive to business passengers and unless the reason for the clear preference of airlines for LHR is understood more clearly . . .

Bright-Ling
30th Mar 2003, 03:08
Well the last time I used the rail to London in the 90's and it only took 30 mins.

On the negative side, I was stood up with all my bags in the catering car and it was 1960's rolling stock.

Myabe that doesn't help the business traveller!

CandyBender
30th Mar 2003, 03:36
There has been a station at LGW longer than there has been an airport.....it merely changed it's name from "Gatwick Racecourse" to "Gatwick Airport" when the airport was built sometime between WW1 & WW2 I believe.

Avman
30th Mar 2003, 15:31
Not 100% sure about this but wasn't Brussels Airport's rail link with the city not opened in 1958?

PaperTiger
30th Mar 2003, 23:41
The present Gatwick Airport station is the second of that name. The first was near the beehive terminal and connected to it via a pedestrian tunnel. When the new LGW was built the exisiting Gatwick Racecourse station was completely rebuilt and became Gatwick Airport. The original (http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/sites/g/Gatwick%20Airport%20Passenger%20Subway/index.shtml) one closed in 1958.

Brookmans Park
2nd Apr 2003, 00:10
According to a book on the history of LGW, which I chanced upon in "Creepy Crawley " library, the rail link was constrtucted originally for the "Beehive", via a tunnel, and the tunnel certainly exist, or did a few months ago, therefore it would seem that the link was established in the 1930's, so the answer is ;
"Yes"