PDA

View Full Version : Light Aircraft Breakers Yard

Monocock
25th Mar 2003, 16:16
Is there such a thing?

I'd love to know where things like wheel pants, yokes, oleos, wing tips, tail cones, trim etc. can be found to avoid paying some of these ridiculous prices.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Unwell_Raptor
26th Mar 2003, 09:16
At the risk of stating the obvious, a Google search reveals many sites, mostly in the States as you might expect.

Rod1
26th Mar 2003, 09:20
Sky-craft is the only one I know in the UK.

Rod

Davidt
28th Mar 2003, 16:43
Theres a bloke called Singh at Biggin who buys write offs some I understand he breaks for spares some he fixes, always advertses in the back of pilot/flyer.

Lots of breakers in the States, big one in Dallas. also you can get parts for manufacturers other than factory made under a PMA (parts manufactuer approval by the FAA) for example I just got aquote for new fibre glass wing tips from the factory £3000 shipped. From a PMA supplier $600.

Dont know what you fly but most types/makes have an owners group + web forum. Reading the forum posts has saved me a fortune

Oscar Duece
28th Mar 2003, 16:47
Just don't expect any 'scrap yard' prices. You aint gonna get a set of spats for £ 10-00.

IMHO. Unless you fly a Pfa single seater wonder machine, the words 'Cheap' and 'Flying' can never be used together..:(

P.s. Anyone know where I can get a full set of front cowls for a Robin 220. ?

LowNSlow
28th Mar 2003, 21:41
Try Nalston Aviation based in Caterham Surrey. Adverts are usually in the back of Pilot Popular Flying etc.

Hen Ddraig
29th Mar 2003, 04:49
try www.sky-craft.com.uk
they seem to have a reasonable stock of bits and pieces

Airstripflyer
29th Mar 2003, 15:58
Give Paul Nalson a ring on 01883 340062. He has been breaking aircraft for 30 years and has a huge collection of bits and pieces.