PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL Multi/IR CFI/II - What's next

stevegg5
20th Mar 2002, 07:20
Well i've spent the last 2 years getting to 1400TT but with only 40 multi what's next.. .My J1 visa runs out at the end of June and i'm not sure how to continue. I've herd British Virgin Islands or Africa are worth trying does anyone have any good advice.. .On a British Passport.. . . . <small>[ 20 March 2002, 03:39: Message edited by: stevegg5 ]</small>

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Mar 2002, 07:59
stevegg5,. .. .If you are at 1400TT make sure you get to 1500TT and your FAA ATP before your Visa runs out. There are companies in many countries that have N Reg Aircraft.. .. .My school has trained airline pilots which fly in africa that needed FAA ATPs. The airline they worked for were changing their aircraft over and needed to get their pilots properly rated.. .. .The FAA ATP will help make you more marketable.. .. .Good Luck,. .. .Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.. .Naples Air Center, Inc.

somewhatconcerned
20th Mar 2002, 09:01
I have the utmost respect for anyone connected with Naples Air centre but I think you may have another option and that is to apply for and extension to your visa. I'm fairly confident this can be done and will take a few discreet enquiries on your part. It is or used to be possible to extend certain visas and despite a possible inevitable outcome, from the time you apply to the time it may or may not be turned down which often takes a significant amount of time you can legally remain in that country. This may be enough time for you to get any extra hours you require.. .I have to say though if anything I have said gets discredited by a reliable source please disregard, I have never tried this out for myself.

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Mar 2002, 09:21
somewhatconcerned,. .. .It is always a good idea to try and stay if that is what you are looking to do. I do not know how hard that will be right now. INS is currently under extreme pressure due to the recent Visa paperwork they issued for Mohamed Atta and Marwan Al-Shehhi.. .. .Take Care,. .. .Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.. .Naples Air Center, Inc.

OAT-Texas
20th Mar 2002, 19:19
somewhatconcerned,. .. .The J-1 Visa is a complicated matter - it is controlled by the US State Dept - as opposed the INS. They have very stringent rules one of them being NO EXTENSIONS. The only time I saw them make an exception was in 1999 / 2000 when European students had to go back for the JAA Conversions when the new rules came into effect. Back then they would give you "credit" for up to 6 months or whatever length of time it took you to convert your licenses.. .. .Another thing to watch out for it the “two year rule” restriction as some visas have a restriction that you can not enter the US for two years after the completion of your J-1 Visa.. .. .This link also has a little more information for you to read…I hope this helps!. .<a href="http://travel.state.gov/visa;exchange.html" target="_blank">http://travel.state.gov/visa;exchange.html</a>

Naples Air Center, Inc.
20th Mar 2002, 20:45
OAT-Texas,. .. .You are correct. It is currently controlled by the State Department, I used INS as a general statement to cover all Immigration. I should have been more specific. My apology.. .. .As for the situation which applies to stevegg5, it is possible to get an extension or change of status, but probability is poor. I do not want to go into all the hoops required to do so.. .. .The J-1 is a student exchange program and was designed for people to come to the US, train in a field and bring that knowledge home to their native country. The Spirit of the visa's design was pass on the knowledge to other members of their country. Hence the reason for the two year restriction on returning to the U.S. In the case of British Citizens, the two year restriction does not apply. After their visa ends and they leave the U.S., they are free to return to the U.S.. .. .Good Luck,. .. .Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.. .Naples Air Center, Inc.

stevegg5
20th Mar 2002, 21:32
Wow i didn't expect this response as quickly.. .Thank's everyone.. .Hi Richard, you probably don't remember but i got my IR at NAC with Beth... .. .The situation with the J1 now is no extensions, and your right you used to be able to do that, my mate who came over on a J1 10 years ago did that at the time, he then married an American, but that's another story.. .I've been there, done that and don't want a second T-shirt for now.. .I'm also aware of the 2 year rule. There's a tick box on the back of my visa pink slip which isn't ticked, so i think i'm OK. . .I think it mainly applies if it Government sponsered students.. .Strangely enough i went out yesterday and bought the ATP prepware to start studying for the ATP written, Spoooky ah..... .I'm around 200 short of the ATP cross country requirements so i'll shoot for that.. .The other thing i have considered is going to Ari Ben in FL to get there deal on 100 multi hours.. .Do you think that will make the difference?. .Or should i save my money for a type rating?

Naples Air Center, Inc.
21st Mar 2002, 19:49
stevegg5,. .. .Always good to hear from former students. I did not see your name, so I am not sure I know who you are. If you like, you can drop me an email and we could talk more. [email protected] . .. .You should try to get to 200 hours of Multi. 1500TT 200ME and an ATP makes you marketable.. .. .If you are going to buy a 100 hour block of Multi time, make sure you are going to have the aircraft to yourself and not "Share" the time with another person doing their 100 hour block of Multi too.. .. .I always advise against type ratings. This is my reason: . .. .Lets say you want to go out and get a type rating in a B-737 or a Lear 35. . .. .You obtain the Type Rating. Now you are a person with 1500TT 200ME a B-737 (or Lear 35) Type and 2 hours in that aircraft. There is not a company or airline in the world that is going to say, "Come in and fly my Boeing (or Lear) as Captain." (Even if they did, their insurance company would not allow it.). .. .Your best bet is to find a job flying for a company or an airline as a First Officer (since 99% of the time that is where you will start), and wait till they have a position open for a Captain and it is your turn to upgrade. The company or airline will pay for your type rating at that time.. .. .Best of Luck,. .. .Capt. Richard J. Gentil, Pres.. .Naples Air Center, Inc.