PDA

View Full Version : General Navigation Question

Watchoutbelow
22nd Mar 2003, 14:24
Hi folks,

I heard that PolarStereoGraphics have not come up in the General Navigation exam for a long time, is this the case? Can anyone who sat the paper in recent months prove me wrong?

Any tips and advice would be appreciated!

parris50
23rd Mar 2003, 07:52
When I did General Nav last August, I don;t remember any questions on polar stereographics and the instructors thought this to be an unlikely topic.

Best to revise it just in case though!

iainpoll
23rd Mar 2003, 07:57
No Polar Stereo's this month....Don't count your chickens though, they are in the syllabus!

If I can give you one piece of advice - be a CRP5 wizard !

Good luck.

Iain

parris50
23rd Mar 2003, 09:08
Opinion seems devided on the CRaP-5. One of my instructors used it for just about everything. Another told us to throw it away!

Now that I've got used to it, I do find it good for TAS, drift, GS and time calculations. For conversions, I'm happier with a calculator. What do you tink?

Tinstaafl
23rd Mar 2003, 14:26
What do you tink? (sic)

Use a Jep. CR.... :ok:

READY MESSAGE
28th Mar 2003, 19:56
In my vast experience of General Nav papers (and Silsoe in general!) I don't recall seeing a Polar Stereographic question. I reckon it's safe to expect to see them crop up from time to time in the Ops Procedures papers.....

Send Clowns
29th Mar 2003, 03:51
I would use the CRP-5 for most things, as it is quick and self-explanitory, with less to remember and lots of reminders printed on it. In particular RAS/TAS/Mach and indicated/true altitude it is the only sensible way. The CRP-5 is certainly the best instrument of its type (as well as being the one used by JAA to work out the answers). Ignore instructors who tell you to throw it away, they are probably not very confident about it.

There are polar stereographic questions in the question bank. Whether they come up or not I cannot comment.

Best of luck!

Send Clowns
Gen Nav instructor
BCFT

vikingdk
29th Mar 2003, 05:04
I`ve seen polar questions:yuk: in the nav exam, but they have an odd tendency to pop up at ops.procedures too...so beware! Just my experince, but practise the feedback papers and you`ll be just fine
Good Luck
:cool:

Feneris
29th Mar 2003, 05:22
No polarstereo questions in the last exam, and only 1 on convergency. There were about 10 using the wind vector side of the CRP5. Easy exam, cleared 90%.

PS. My only nightmares during the exams were about the appauling accommodation based at Oxford. Utter CRP.

F

Send Clowns
3rd Apr 2003, 00:06
Might I suggest, Viking, that if Watchout knows the subject he or she will be far better off than by knowing the "feedback"?

I have just spent 2 weeks completely retraining a student for this subject, who by his own admission had become fixated on the feedback which was insufficient and thereby failed the exam 3 times. He admits that the school where he sat the approved course discourages this officially, but since I find others that I encounter from the same school have a similar approach this policy is not being applied successfully.

I have feedback for Navigation, that is introduced in the normal flow of the course and allows the student an idea of what to expect, especially of the questions I see as odd or unfair. That does not mean that I would send students to an exam room if they could not answer a reasonable but entirely unexpected question within the syllabus.