PDA

View Full Version : JAA approved schools

dannyweaver
21st Mar 2003, 08:43
I've read several times on the PPRuNe that when looking at flying schools, check that they are JAA approved! Does anyone know where I can find a list of approved schools? I've looked on the JAA website, but it is absolutely awful and impossible to navigate!

Any ideas?
Thanks!

BillieBob
21st Mar 2003, 08:57
Try clicking on 'Licensing' and 'Approved Organisations/Authorised Examiners' - it's not exactly well hidden. However, the only FTO's listed are those approved by Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands and Switzerland. The UK lists its approved schools on the CAA website and the remaining states seem to want to keep it a secret? AFAIK the UK is the only state to approve FTO's outside the JAA.

Keygrip
21st Mar 2003, 11:22
Danny - all the ones in the UK (where you apparently live!!) and all the ones around the World that are specifically approved by the UK CAA - are listed in CAA Standards Document 31 (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_ApprovedFTOs.pdf)

madman1145
29th Mar 2003, 03:47
Hello dannyweaver;

My recipe as I did it:
1.: Check with JAA what countries that are fully JAA members ..
Link: www.jaa.nl/whatisthejaa/diagram2.pdf
2.: Choose the countries you could find yourself taking the training in and that are fully JAA member ..
3.: If you wanna fly in your own country after the training is over, check with your national CAA what countries your CAA have done the "Letter of Mutual Recognition" exchange - that exchange is a recognition that your CAA recognize the other countries JAA certificates as they are, no conversions, no limits, no problems, no nothing - because not everyone does that - don't be sure that a JAA certificate can be used en every JAA member state as they are - there is Theory and there is Practice :rolleyes: ..
4.: Contact that/those specific country(es) own national CAA that you have chosen and ask them what FTO's they have certified as JAA FTO - they can also give you the JAA-certification number each FTO has and thereby you can be sure that the specific school is certified ..

As BillieBob says, if you wanna go outside the JAA members borders, like US, the certifications on them should be included on the UK CAA list, because it is them who has certified FTO's outside JAA's own countries ..

- Good hunting :D ...

fergus448
28th May 2003, 22:22
I am having a similar problem to dannyweaver. I want to train for my CPL/IR +fATPL +MCC at AeroMadrid in Spain and then come back to fly in the UK or Ireland with minimal fuss.
Could someone please tell me if this is possible and/or what I have to do. Neither the CAA nor the school themselves seem to be sure.

many thanks
Fergus

Island Hopper
30th May 2003, 03:35
Fergus,

In short, doing licences at a school which is not in the CAA list means additional costs on your return (EVEN if done in Spain, A JAA STATE!!!), but ratings are fine - just a small admin fee to have it added to your licence. (£100 in the case of an IR being added to a CPL)

Plenty of info on this in a recent thread:

JAR ATPL conversion question (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=89558)

IH