PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice on my plans

ILOVEYWG
21st Mar 2003, 05:06
I just have a few questions. I'll keep them short and sweet.

1. I'm 17 years old and have started flight training in September of last year. What is a good age to start at so that you may get to fly for a big airline in 12 years?

2. Diploma or degree? Does it matter which university or college? (Big or small. Does not matter if its more or less reconized as long as their all accretted?) Does it matter which diploma or degree? (No, I'm not going to be a doctor and a pilot at the same time. I plan on only focusing on aviation because its really my only interest. I'd be wasting my time on a degree I have no interest in and on something I hope to never use.)

3. If I got my high school diploma through doing the GED test (rather than actualy completing high school the old fashion way,) will a big airline recognize that?

4. Here's my plan so far. After I finish school (or passing my GED) I plan on working for a year to earn up some $$$ so that I can go to a local flying school that has a program where you can get a BA of science in aviation through a stay at home course (online) with the Utah Valley State College. I would be doing all my flight training at the same time (everything except the privates and night rating because I am already close to getting them) while hopefully, I can continue working at my job at our airport. The flying school I would be going to uses the same airport I work at. It works out nice because its close to home, get to keep my job, and it will cost less $$$. After I get my degree and finish the flight training, I was hoping to fly bush or something until I could move up to a bigger air company, then eventually an even bigger airline company. Now of course this isn't signed in blood, but how does that plan sound? Mostly the university part?

5. My goal: in 12 years or so, I hope to fly for a bigger airline company. I would love to fly for one of those parcel companies even. Does this sound realistic, or am I dreaming?

6. BEST WAY TO GET THERE???

7. With all the negativity in the industry these days whether on the net, or hearing it in the media or from people claiming that things will never get better, discouraging young, aspiring pilots like myself to pursue a career in aviation, am I wasting my time?

I'm not too worried about my decisions. I just want to know what other people think. Please spare me as much negativity as possible. That is the last thing I want to hear right now. Just want helpful (but not destroying) advice.

Hope this isn't too much.

velvet_ice
24th Mar 2003, 00:23
i am pursuing a career in aviation without a degree or a diploma, although it does help when it comes to times of employment but i know of others who have careers in aviation without a degree.

Although, i believe it would look better that if you completed your high school diploma instead of doing the GED. I believe that would be a wise decision.

I think the younger we start the better your chances, but then again dont dismiss the idea of getting a degree, sometimes if everything does not work out it is good to have a fall back plan. it also shows that you are a well rounded person. I may not have a degree myself but i have taken other steps and covered different areas that has given me experience in other areas. But you have a good attitude and you seem to be set and very focused on what you want to do. good luck with it all and all the best.