PDA

View Full Version : Class 1 visual requirements in Canada

Dash8100
20th Mar 2003, 10:16
Can someone tell me the Class 1 visual requirements in Canada?

Bigpelabalus
21st Mar 2003, 05:41
Go to Transport Canada Website

I belive is 20/20 corrected 6/600 uncorected.

More info on the site

Hi Dash8

I found the stuff for you: http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/regserv/carac/CARS/cars/t42402e.htm

hope it works

Bigpela

MLS-12D
29th Mar 2003, 05:54
As you probably know, in the USA a 1st class medical essentially doesn't required any specific uncorrected vision standard; as long as you can be corrected to 20/20, that's sufficient. Makes sense to me, since I've never flown without my glasses!

I looked into this issue about 3-4 years ago, at which time both ICAO and TC told me that they were "considering" adopting an approach similar to that of the USA. I don't know what progress has been made (things move very slowly at ICAO), but if your uncorrected vision is not up to snuff, it would be worth your while to make specific enquiries of TC's medical people rather than be deterred by what is on the Physical and Mental Requirements chart.

thparkth
31st Mar 2003, 19:41
Despite what the docs say, you can be class 1 certfified as long as you can be corrected to 20/20. There are no uncorrected limits as of about a year ago. There are also no diopter limits.

I have a canadian class 1 with -5.75, -5.25 and worse than 2/600 uncorrected.

Cheers,

Andrew

SierraEleven
5th Apr 2003, 03:49
Hey Guys,
I just went for my Class 1 renew last week, and I'm pretty sure the limits are -3.5 as far as nearsightedness. Not sure where I read it, but the T.C pages must have the info no doubt.

thparkth
7th Apr 2003, 04:30
Just to back up what I said before. Before I applied for my Transport Canada medical I email them to ask what the current situation was. In my email I stated that I was over both the stated diopter and uncorrected vision limits.

This is the reply I received:

---

Mr Crawford,

Canada is in the process of removing the diopteric limits from the vision
standards, so provided you can correct your distant vision to 6/9 ( 20/30
) in each eye separately and 6/6 using both eyes, then we would consider
you fit for all medical categories

Sincerely

XXXX

---

Furthermore I do now hold a full class 1 medical despite having worse than -5 correction in both eyes, and pretty bad uncorrected vision. So I can confirm that what the gentleman from TC told me is correct - as long as you can be corrected to 20:20 using both eyes, you can be class 1 certified.

The -3.5 thing is a thing of the past.

Cheers,

Andrew

MLS-12D
10th Apr 2003, 06:56
Excellent! Many thanks Andrew for sharing your experience with us.

You have made my day!!!

Now that I can pass the medical, is Canada ready for one more pilot with a shiny new CPL?! ;)

woodey
10th Apr 2003, 07:01
Is this only true for Canada? Does anyone know whether UK have also dropped the diopter requirement?

Woodey

MLS-12D
10th Apr 2003, 21:22
Unfortunately, it appears that the JAA standards still have the refraction limits, although at +/-5 dioptres they are somewhat more lenient than Canada's (old) standard (+/- 3.5 dioptres). On the other hand, if you exceed the tolerances you can't get a medical certificate even if you undergo laser surgery and wind up with perfect vision, which I don't believe was the case here.

See generally http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=537

woodey
11th Apr 2003, 02:45
Thanks for that, MLS. I read the CAA page. Seems to make no sense at all not to allow certification if you meet the required standards after surgery.

Woodey:mad:

MLS-12D
11th Apr 2003, 03:06
I agree.

When I was speaking with the head medico at ICAO a few years ago, he told me that people with high refractive errors (like me! :( ) are at higher risk of various eye diseases. Probably that risk would continue after laser surgery, and that's why the JAA won't recognize it as a 'cure' for myopia. However, the ICAO fellow also told me that the extra risk could be effectively managed by requiring regular opthamological checkups, so ... :*

For more information on the Canadian position re laser surgery, see here (http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Cam/eyesurgery.htm)

JET
30th Jun 2003, 15:18
- 4 both eyes , i have a class one , FAA and TC ,

MLS-12D
30th Jun 2003, 23:38
Great, thanks Jet.