PDA

View Full Version : Path to becoming a pilot?

cowboy45
19th Mar 2003, 21:28
Hey all you pilots out there...i'm a senior in high school here in houston texas, and i'm hoping to become an airline pilot. My questions are, what is the best rout to take (as far as college goes) to becoming a pilot. Currently i have been accepted to Embry Riddle Aeronautical University in Daytona beach, but the steap price has me wondering if it's worth it or not. Does anyone have any pro's and con's for attending embry riddle? i'm also looking at a program at ASU, does anyone klnow anything about that? yes i know...i'm full of questions anyways, any info anyone can give me regarding embry riddle and how helpfull it would be in becoming a pilot would be much apreciated! i would also apreciate any other suggestions you might have. one last thing, whats do you think the average starting pay for a pilot fresh out of college would be? low low low i'm sure. anyways thanks for any help you can give!

-Keith

higney85
1st Apr 2003, 04:45
hey man Im a senior as well- yet I am in TN. I want to be an airline pilot as well and will be going to Middle Tennessee State University (MTSU) in the fall. I currently have my private and am getting close to done on the Instrument. At MTSU I will do my commercial the fall term and my multi, CFI, CFI-I, and MEI the spring term. Ill be doing the professional pilot major with a business minor and with summer school I think I can finish in 3 years. Ill be 21 with all my ratings and maybe 800 total hours (maybe 65-70 multi). I plan on doing a year worth of Multi hour building and other programs (like pan-am's ACE program and maybe go to a first officer school and get some turbine time- although that is some $$$). Goal is to have my ATP at 23 and get hired at airlink with maybe 1600 or so hours and fly with them till 25 or 26 and go to fly fedex.... Im a bit lofty on expectations but I think it can be done. Its not too late to go to MTSU but flight labs for the fall term were just awarded so you couldnt start flying your first semester but you could start now and get your private and instrument before school starts- just a thought.