PDA

View Full Version : Faa Ir converting to Jaa Ir

Seaweed Knees
19th Mar 2003, 18:55
Im planning on converting my FAA IR into a JAA one and have been told that the fifteen hours of time required for the conversion is never enough. Does anyone know what the JAA rating involves that makes it so much more difficult? Is it just a matter of accuracy?

Keygrip
19th Mar 2003, 19:04
Flightsafety International found that their students got through in 15 hours - but they had had some serious 'beatings' to get to that quality - not just pass an FAA ride.

It depends on how good you are at the FAA stuff, I suppose.

IRISHPILOT
19th Mar 2003, 19:16
Have heard the CAA examiners are tough... So why not do it somewhere else, where they use designated examiners? the CAA will add that rating to your licence no problem.

If you still are in the US, EFT for example is authorised by the Irish Aviation Authority to prepare you for the Irish JAA IR test, the CAA/UK examiners there are again authorised by the IAA to conduct these tests.

Lots of people did it that way when I was there last (that's over a year ago, though)...

DesiPilot
19th Mar 2003, 22:37
IrishPilot,

The rules have changed since last June. You can do the IR training in the USA, but IR flight tests must be done in the EU airspace.
So if you do your IR Training with EFT, you will still be required to go to Ireland to do your flight test.

Dubliner No.1
19th Mar 2003, 23:03
I have done my Faa I.R here in the states with the intention of saving a bit, not much mind you. Although I passed the FAA ok, there is a pretty big differnce between the two. Even the R/T procedures are going to be a bit of a shock to those who have flown only in the States) Obviously the training done in the FAA will be a stepping stone but I only look at it as that. I would be very very suprised to only have to do the 15 hour minimum( Fair Play to the guys who did) and will do as much training in the states before I go Back to europe to do the conversion.

I would love to hear from someone who has been through it all ready?