PDA

View Full Version : Best place to get a JAA license

Euroatlantic
19th Mar 2003, 02:09
Hi. I decided to start my training in Europe. I looked at various places in the States but I was told it would be best to get the license here, that employers would prefer a pilot trained in a high quality European school over a North American one.

I was hoping I could get the names of a few good places around Europe to get a JAR license.

Thanks!

Send Clowns
19th Mar 2003, 18:52
I admit I do work for a British FTO, but I would honestly say the UK is the best country, or at least UK CAA-approved (of course I think BCFT is the best school!). There have been persistent mentions of corruption in certain other JAA states (apparently the exam papers are available on the black market a week in advance in one country) and the suggestion I have heard is that the UK-issued licence is going to be prefered by the employers. I cannot confirm of course.

IRISHPILOT
19th Mar 2003, 19:07
Depends on what you want: Work in Portugal, I suppose Portugal issued licence would be fine. UK licence certainly good anywhere. Cannot see a German or Swedish or Danish licensing Authority being that corrupt. Could you please share your information with us, Send Clown?

Is a very simple swap from a JAR to another JAR licence, so if you think an UK licence would help, swap your Spanish/Czech/Maltese, etc. licence in Gatwick.

In Sweden and Germany, there are English ATPL courses.

I have visited an outfit in Berlin: www.flugschule-berlin.de and was quite impressed... did no flying there though.

Good luck!

Send Clowns
19th Mar 2003, 20:12
Well there seem to be problems overall in Portugal - I don't think they have implemented JAA at all so none is available, hence I had a student over recently from Lisbon for a licence conversion (they have been "named and shamed" along with Greece). The country I heard had exams for sale (or even free I was told) was Spain, that from a Spanish national who is just finishing an IR in the UK.

It is not the nation of administration of the licence that is alleged to be important, but the country under whose approval the course was sat, and who sponsored initial issue.

I agree about Danish and probably Swedish and German too. They may be as well-respected, but what I have heard from people living in other JAA states is that a UK course specifically will be beyond reproach.

Euroatlantic
19th Mar 2003, 20:54
Thanks for the info guys. Portugal does not issue JAA licences. You can go to Spain and get it converted for about €400 but getting it "directly" is prefered I'd guess.
I've been looking at BCFT's website. You guys only do modular courses right?

What other places in England d'you think I should look at?

Cheers!!!

PS: I'm still considering Comair's JAA in Florida though. Their internship program can get me 1000hrs in 24 months. All for about $50,000. I asked for housing prices. I'm guessing they're high cos they don't even mention them on the info pack they mailed me! If I could get a green card and an FAA convertion while I'm there it would be great. My American family background might help. What d'you guys think? Another option to consider?

Send Clowns
19th Mar 2003, 22:25
Affirm, we are modular only, and think of this as an advantage.

Well you should at least look at a few types of place - us of course :D, a big school like Oxford or Cabair maybe, and distance-learning-only schools like Bristol and GTS as an option for groundschool (though most groundschools have distance learning options and if you are able I would advise full time), and assuming you go modular when it comes to the flying look at some small places as well as mid-sized like we are and the large.

If you can come over to the UK before deciding certainly come down to Bournemouth as we have 6 different FTOs - BCFT, ETA / STS / GTS (who work together), PAT and EPTA (part of Cabair), and it is a fantastic place for training (good facilities, on-site examiners and of courses some great old warbirds flying from here to watch in summer!).

ECHIE
21st Mar 2003, 11:37
I have looked at flying schools in the UK/Holland/Germany/US before I started with my flight training, but Spain had the best price/quality to offer. That´s why three years ago I decided to do my flighttraining there. I finished now for one year and had one job offer to fly a corperate jet, but I decided to go back to Spain to become a flight instructor. I love to life in Spain, it is a fabulous country for living! A lot of my colleagues found a job in an airline in the north of europe. So I think the quality of training is good!

At the moment I think that Aeromadrid has the best programme to offer in Spain. They have a good reputation and a lots of experience in aviation, they also are the oldest flying school in Spain. They have a nice fleet with good instructors and very good simulators. For example: which school in europe does his MCC on a full flight Airbus 320 simulator of GE? It is standard included in the JAA Intergrated ATPL course of Aeromadrid. I think that the program they offer in total is fabulous and for a very good price!!

Have a look at their website: www.aeromadrid.com.

I think if you want to be sure you are choosing the good school for you, it is good to have a look at diffent schools in diffrent countries. It is a good investment to have a look in Madrid what they have to offer.

With kind regards,

Echo Charlie

r_bonham-carter
22nd Mar 2003, 21:50
Hi Euroatlantic,

I am studying for my ATPL with CCAT (Cabair) at Cranfield and I think it is a great school. All my instructors are really nice and the campus facilities are very substantial.
Their prices are quite competitive too!

Good luck with your flying!

Euroatlantic
22nd Mar 2003, 23:26
ECHIE,
how much is the course at Aeromadrid d'you know? I know Airmed in Valencia is about €60,000. I emailed Aeromadrid with a few questions but no answers yet. Also, d'you know what they mean by "pre-university level education" as a pre-requisite?

I'm still considering Comair and EFT in Florida though. I was told that doing the course in Europe would be better but down there for the $50,000 I can get some 1000hrs instructing... very tempting! What d'you think? :confused:

PS: Is there a school in Europe with this scheme of guaranteed instructing to build up hours? (Comair doesn't guarantee it, EFT does)