PDA

View Full Version : Difference in SO and FO Cathay Pacific

batty
17th Mar 2003, 15:10
I realise that as an SO with Cathay you are a cruise pilot on the pax side and as an FO you fly the freighters. However which is the better option...an SO for about 2 years then mainstream FO or straight into the freighter fleet as an FO and possibly having to remain in the Cathay freight fleet. What are the long term differences, benifits and pay scales between the two.

My experience so far is with passenger airlines and I am not very familiar with freighter operations.

Is promotion to FO on the pax fleet based purely on seniority or is it based on experience?

Thanks for any information...:)

wandrinabout
18th Mar 2003, 13:19
My understanding (as a non CX dude) is that its a seniority based operation, and the pax and freighter fleet newbies are employed on a common seniority list, even though the freighter is a different contract/operation.

Eligibility for promotion eventuates when your number comes up, regardless of fleet.

I think also the freighter contract provides a little less cash in the pocket, however you do get pole time.

Anybody in the know care to correct me?

LandingCheckComplete
19th Mar 2003, 18:53
Both S/Os and F/Os join with a common seniority number.

If you come to the freighter fleet, the salary will be less, but you will get pole time and after approx three years you can move across to the pax fleet. You also get to live on a basing(FRA, CDG or SYD).