PDA

View Full Version : Are these questions fair???

RowleyUK
17th Mar 2003, 08:16
Just some questions that i have been milling over in my mind since the systems exam the other week!!

Does anybody actually know what the answers to these would be?

In a modern Jet aircraft, landing forces are dampened by what?

A.Nitrogen and viscous fluid
B.Nitrogen
C.Hydrogen
D.Oxygen

are they talking about what supports the weight of the aircraft?.......then it would be nitrogen only............or are they talkin about the whole events during a landing.............in which case it would be nitrogen and viscous fluid!!!!!!

When leaning a mixture:

A: Fuel flow to the combustion chamber reduces
B: Airflow to the combustion chamber reduces
C: Fuel flow to the carburettor reduces
D: Airflow to the carburettor reduces

When you lean a mixture the fuel flow to the main jet reduces, therefore you can say that A is correct!!!
However, if you class the 'Main jet' as being a part of the carburretor then you could say that C is also correct!!:rolleyes:

After the power stroke, which valves are open?

A. Inlet
B. Outlet
C. Inlet and Outlet
D. None

So, theyre talkin about the exhaust stroke then! In which case the outlet valve is open!! However, during the exhaust stroke the inlet valve will also open!!! So what are they askin for???

What AIR:FUEL Mixture will allow the max EGT??

A..Near Idle cut off
B.. 1:9
C..1:1/15:1
D..Cruise settin

Yeah, algebra will tell you that C is the same as 15:1 and is the most probable answer, but is it really a fair question??? More of a trick to me!!!

What is shimmy?

A. potentially damaging vibration of the nose wheel
B. Movement of the nosewheel in the time between the input from the control wheel and the reaction of the wheels

Could be both id say.............there was definately not a definition in the available options that i had ever heard of!!!

No results today!:(

witchdoctor
17th Mar 2003, 11:26
I wouldn't get your knickers in too much of a twist about it. It's been the same old story for years, and plenty of folk still get through - even a muppet like me. You will find loads of questions with multiple possible 'correct' answers - I was always advised to go for the 'most correct' one.

redsnail
17th Mar 2003, 12:10
The questions are actually quite specific. The trick is to not read too much into them. If the questions asks for "x" then that is what you answer. Not "x, then y, followed by z".

Best way to answer multiple choice questions is to cover the answers, read the question and answer THAT. Then uncover the answers and see which one has the best fit. Of course, there will be times when it's a choice out of 2. Go for the most correct.

It's just another bloody hoop you have to jump through. It's not fair but neither is life.

My names Turkish
1st Apr 2003, 09:59
This ones probably been done to Death but does it ever hack you off that some of the questions are so obscure and outdated/old fashioned? Can't think of a particular example but I'm sure anyone who is doing/it has done it has thought this very thought!

Send Clowns
3rd Apr 2003, 23:47
Our law instructor has a great system for problem questions.

If there are two or more correct answer (thinking of the radio nav question where all answers are correct!) think of them as a five-star answer and three star answer(s). Choose what you judge as a five-star answer.

Of course there are then the questions for which none of the answers are actually correct. Here from the dross you must try to isolate the three-star answer. However that is defined (perhaps one that is correct, though not complete, or one that is almost right) the "star rating" tends to clarify the problem in your mind, and help to solve the dilema.

Good luck!

Send Clowns
Gen Nav / Flt Plng instructor
BCFT

wobblyprop
4th Apr 2003, 01:49
Shimey;

I'd say A. Its the nose wheel being vibrated by the ground. You will get it on a warrior and you can feel it through the pedels.

NOT B they've given you a clue by talking about the gear being raised.

Not sure about the EGT but some fuel/air mix will change the EGT. Find a manual for a plane fitted with and EGT and read about the recommended mixture settings and what EGT you should be aiming for.

We are talking about a four stoke engine:
Suck Squeeze Bang Blow. I'd say that the outlet valve opens.
example (http://colos1.fri.uni-lj.si/~colos/COLOS/EXAMPLES/XDJ/ENGINE/engine.html)

Leaning the mixture think about the first place that effect happens. Air and fuel are mixed in the carb. so, i'd say that C was your answer

Damped forces for landing. I think they are talking about the oleo. Therefore find out what's in one. I think you're right with A

No-one really likes the questions, but like redo says they're just hoops.

Craggenmore
6th Apr 2003, 05:40
In a modern Jet aircraft, landing forces are dampened by what?

A.Nitrogen and viscous fluid
B.Nitrogen
C.Hydrogen
D.Oxygen

LANDING is the clue here - you get contraction and retraction of the struts during landing, therefore answer A would be my choice.

When leaning a mixture:

A: Fuel flow to the combustion chamber reduces
B: Airflow to the combustion chamber reduces
C: Fuel flow to the carburettor reduces
D: Airflow to the carburettor reduces

Leaning the mix concerns the ratio of Air:Fuel being combusted. therefore answer A would be my choice.

A. Inlet
B. Outlet
C. Inlet and Outlet
D. None

Answer C. Valve Overlap. The outlet valve is open to excrete the exhaust gases and the inlet valve will open before TDC to take advantage of the reduced exhaust back pressure to aid volumetric efficiency - Pressure Scavenging'.... There is no other answer here.

What AIR:FUEL Mixture will allow the max EGT??

A..Near Idle cut off
B.. 1:9
C..1:1/15:1
D..Cruise settin

If it said the "theoretical air:fuel mix" then C would be the one to go for, but in light of that word missing, I would go for A as near idle cut off = high temperature remaining in the cylinders, therefore detonation, thus higher tempertatures than the other answers offered.

Just my opinion though

Hope it helps.

Craggenmore