PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Course

rich49
16th Mar 2003, 16:46
I understand that the duration of the ATPL ground school exams if you take the full time course is 14 weeks. I am wondering then how you fATPL holders out there found the time to take the course? How did you fit it in the middle of a relationship or job? How did you get the time off work? I know that there is distance learning but how would you take a full time course without quiting your job?
Cheers
Rich

redsnail
16th Mar 2003, 17:49
rich49, I think you'll find it's about 14 weeks per module. Most full time schools have 2 modules.
I was "fortunate" in that I didn't have a job and so I could devote all of my time to the 6 months it took to knock off the 14 subjects. As for a relationship? Well, it was a challenge.
If you are in full time employ, you would have to negotiate the time off as leave without pay. I think you'd be lucky to find an employer that will allow that much time off. I guess each situation is different. If your work is seasonal then perhaps they wouldn't mind you taking a block of 3 months off.
Relationships are another matter. You'll have to learn how to juggle your study priorities with enough time off to keep your sanity as well as your partner happy. Effective communication and understanding is the only way.

parris50
17th Mar 2003, 21:58
It's for exactly this kind of reason that many, including me, did the ATPLs by distance learning. At least you don't have to tell your boss what you are doing and the brush up courses can come out of your leave. Trouble is you then have to juggle study, job and wife (not necessarily ing that order)...

spils
18th Mar 2003, 10:57
how much time and effort is generally required in the distance learning? i am assuming it is greater than the 14 weeks of standard ATPL course due to the fact that you are not wholly concentrating on the one thing (i.e. the exams and study) but are combining this with work etc.

parris50
18th Mar 2003, 17:02
It took me about 8 months of to get through and there were a couple of resits on the way. Most evenings and weekends were taken up with study/hours building depending on the weather.

It is a lot of work but it happened to suit me. I wouldn't say it's ideal for everybody as you are very much on your own and there's always a reason not to study! On the plus side, you can work at your own speed, go over tricky bits as many times as you want and you can always phone/e-mail an instructor if you get stuck.

FlyingForFun
19th Mar 2003, 08:12
Spils,

How long is a piece of string? You can, if you have enough spare time, work on the studying full time, in which case there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to do it in the same amount of time as a full-time course. Or you can take a couple of years over it. Most people go for somewhere in the middle - it took me 12 months, working most weekends and occassionally after work.

FFF
----------------

lovefly1968
21st Mar 2003, 21:52
I study 30 min to 2 h day, sometimes 5 hours/days at the begining.and i am soon finished (9 months).
I study in the train, take a binder with me outside, read what I have to read before bed, read in the water closed when it smells me!!!mhhhh!
to you to find a good way to study everyday!

RED WINGS
23rd Mar 2003, 18:56
Im not sure about 14 weeks. I did mine over 19 weeks all 14 which was real hard going and the shortest course I have seen advertised.

In reality the average is 9 months, assume you will have to resit one or two. By the time you recieve your results you are unlikely to be in time to be able to apply for the following month hence time slips away! God bless the CAA and all those who shall sink in her:eek: