PDA

View Full Version : Cathay Freighter F/O Schedule

livingthedream
15th Mar 2003, 21:50
Does anyone out there know the typical schedule for a newhire Cathay Freighter DE F/O? I am about to head over to HK for my second interview. BTW I am aware of the hiring ban. I am hoping that the interview process will stretch out long enough for the issue to be settled. In the mean time I want to have as much info as I can. Cheers in advance for any help.

dhoonk
15th Mar 2003, 22:41
During the two days when you are in Hong Kong for your final interview, they will give you group briefings on many topics including what you can expect to get on your schedule once you are on line.

Good luck!

raitfaiter
17th Mar 2003, 06:57
None of which will bear any resemblance to reality, the constant calls on days off, and being unable to plan your life more than 24 hours in the furure. Get ready to buy a spare mobile solely for Crew Controls use...........:rolleyes:

shortly
17th Mar 2003, 08:36
Ignore Rait he is obviously not a freighter dude. The advice given in previous posts is good. Whilst you are in Hong Kong seek out some freighter chaps/chapette and ask them directly. Nothing like information straight from the etc. Good Luck.

BlueEagle
17th Mar 2003, 09:58
raitfaiter - For the benefit of the innocent I am bound to ask you if you are a DE F/O on the CX Freighter fleet?

My personal experience of B744 freight was nowhere near as grim as you suggest, albeit I was with another company.

Vent your spleen by all means but please be real!:D

Thanks.

BlueEagle - Moderator.

fire wall
17th Mar 2003, 10:17
Raitfaiter is atypical of the AOA misinformation corps.
In nearly 2 years on the freighter fleet I have been called out on reserve once and asked to extend into the 7th day once.
I have leave and RDO's when I requested them every time ....learn how to read into the leave points system....and have no probs planning for the "furure" (sic). Guess the only thing I really miss out on is living in DB with all the "children".....the majority of which are above the age of consent.

raitfaiter
18th Mar 2003, 16:43
Firewall, I suggest you use one of your many days off to look up the word 'atypical'........

Blue Eagle, I assure you I have no spleen to vent, just a knee jerk reaction to Shortlys propaganda which I am trying my best to control, normally with alcohol and a rub down with the Sporting Life.

Seems a little odd of you to stick your oar in if you worked for another company, and therefore have no knowledge of CX working patterns, immoderate moderation again on a little frequented forum? Like the bold font though, it makes you seem so.....masterful. :p

fire wall
19th Mar 2003, 00:02
raitfaiter, I don't know what to say......how about well done.
You have adequately displayed to all your lack of knowledge of what happens with the freight fleet and I suspect many would agree that we would prefer you remained as far away from our operation as possible.
Catch you on the street sometime.....I'll no doubt be the fellow busily studying his theosaurus and you will be decked out with that latest fashion item of any union militant.....a little yellow pen in one's pocket.......how I admire your conviction (sic)

Cpt. Underpants
19th Mar 2003, 01:50
The latest fashion item or a reminder of our "mangers" disregard for contractual obligations?

I hope you never find yourself on the wrong end of a Kangaroo Court (if you're lucky enough to get even that)...maybe your cohorts will support you in your misfortune if you get terminated "for no particular reason" or are denied a D&G*?

Ah no, you don't like unions, do you?

*that's Disciplinary & Grievance, Not Dunnunda and Godzone!

raitfaiter
19th Mar 2003, 06:54
Fire Wall, and while you're at it, perhaps a definition of 'theosaurus'.........

Blue Eagle, if you had had the courtesy to send me a personal message instead of flaming me directly in the forum I would not have replied in kind, the biter bit perhaps? :*

raitfaiter - Please see my response to your PM, thanks.

regards,

BlueEagle - Moderator.

jtr
19th Mar 2003, 08:17
Not a freight f/o so I can't tell you what the rosters are like, what I can tell you however, is that in recent history (18 months), and in particular the last 4-6 ish months, rosters have been arguably the best they have been in the last 5 years.

Sadly the cynic in me must add that I think this is the result of "little Nicky's" bold new position, and attempt to convince us of what a great life we have. (glossy newsletters with pretty graphs of days off etc) So why would we possibly want to take them to court to go back to the old rostering system?

Days off before and after leave, attempts to adhere to the old 543 rule, access to the master roster, both on the a/c and off, it seems just like the good old days. The downside is, they won't stick to it. Sadly we all remember the punitive rostering of recent history, so to answer the question of the initial post, perhaps you would be better off asking for a copy or this weeks rostering practices document "which may be amended at the companies discretion from time to time"
If they can't/won't give it to you, but can show you the April, or May roster of a freighter f/o, you may want to consider long term what it may be like if there were no war, or global economic slowdown.

The new 900 hours per year doesn't sound too bad really. Hell 42 days leave (or is it less on the freighter?), it's only 85 hours per month. Position you from New York to Anchorage, or worse Toronto to HKG, you only get 50% credit for duty time. On reserve? 1 in 5 credit! There is no shortage of gotcha's.

Caveat Emptor

jungly
19th Mar 2003, 15:31
For the 1st time "jtr" who get a wry smile from me!

Caveat emptor indeed......but youre still a cynic. Fingers crossed the current rostering stability lasts and that the rostering history remains just that - history ;)

xs calf
20th Mar 2003, 10:43
livingthedream,
Freighter rostering is OK.
CX has some ongoing industrial/political probs.
Good luck.

wandrinabout
24th Mar 2003, 12:29
Forgive my ignorance, but does the ban apply to the freighter fleet, as I understand it is a separate operation to cathay pax, ie crew employed to a subsidiary operator/contract?

I posted this on another forum but got no reply, so apologies for freeloading and tacking it on here.

HardRock
24th Mar 2003, 15:51
Pax, Freight....it's all CX, and subject to the ban.