PDA

View Full Version : Urgently Calling past and present OATS Modular Students

RED WINGS
15th Mar 2003, 19:17
Hi having recently been to visit OATS I am seriously considering CPL IR MEP MCC with them.

However after poking around I was unable to find anyone on the modular flying side of things to speak to. I did however speak to a few of the integrated guys who didnt paint a pretty picture.

However it appears with the recent demise Kalifa (think thats how you spell it). OATS has a fair defecit in capacity for the next few months hence opening the door for little old me who is looking to start in a month ATPL results willing.

Therefore I would be greatful if anyone at OATS or recently finished modular flying at Oxford would give me the low down on the Oxford Mod Experience.

Also anyone who has recently graduated or is due to from OATS have you scored jobs yet and or what did you make of the career development/placement program.

Thanks Everyone

R W:confused:

firepig
16th Mar 2003, 21:23
Hi Redwings,
I can't advise on the current state of play at Oxford but it dosn't seem to be too positive. I had previously visited OATS Modular when they were based at Gloucester, and was really impressed with the setup and the instructors. By the time I was through the ATPL and ready to start, OATS had moved them back to Oxford, and they seemed to be buried underneath the integrated majority. Good news however, a lot of the former modular instructors had left Oxford and gone elsewhere. I did my CPL/ME/IR with the ex OATS modular instructor Mark Bills who has setup a new FTO called Westflight back at Gloucester. it was really good - hard work, but worth it - 1st time IR in the bag
There is life outside Oxford !

Dr.Evil 2002
18th Mar 2003, 16:09
Without meaning to sound rude, if you search for this topic you'll find loads of posts on it. It's been covered so many times. You;ll find all the answers you need I promise!

RED WINGS
20th Mar 2003, 21:02
Without wishing to be rude have already searched and found no recent info hence posted this as I am sure I am not the only one curious to the current conditions.

Any further useful critisism/advice greatly appreciated

ta

carbonfibre
21st Mar 2003, 09:09
Red Wings

I was going to do the lot at OATS, then decided against it, this was all on the modular side of course.

I completed the ground school there, expensive but very worth while, some great instructors and some not so great, but think you will find this is the case everywhere, personallity issues and all that.

I pulled out of the flight training because of the things you have stated, and that generally they were a lot more expensive. I decided to complete my CPL at a smaller school who were flexible and worked hard for me, i gained a first time pass.

2 people who completed the groundschool with me went on to do the OATS CPL,ME,IR,MCC for an elevated cost and one is still out of work and the other took an instructors rating on top and is working as an FI now.

So the answer to your question is, no they did not recieve any other help from OATS, and it does not seem to have got them an airline position.

However, throwing caution to the wind, things may have changed this was 18 months ago. With recent reports that there aicraft movements are to reduce by half they may be more flexible and more accomadating.

I may even suggest that the airlines are a little less worried these days as to where you got the training, and more likely to be was it a first, second or third pass on your CPL/IR , whats his attitude like, ability, willingness to learn.

It may be worth a look around, there are some other great schools out there too.

Have fun in whichever you choose :D

RED WINGS
23rd Mar 2003, 18:39
Cheers Carbon fibre

Replies like that are most useful, and any similar responses about oats or indeed any other modular school greatly appreciated

By the way a friend of mine was on the integrated self spons course at oats about 18 months ago he now flys for Ryanair directly as a result of oats recomendation. Anyone know if any modular guys have recieved any such luck