PDA

View Full Version : BAE Systems

Red Ice
15th Mar 2003, 06:34
Hi

As everyone seems to slag off oxford, what about BAEsystems (spain)? Is there anything wrong with them as they get little or no press?

Red Ice

Gin Slinger
16th Mar 2003, 00:40
At the end of the day, everyone has to plough their own furrow.

Ricardo82
1st Apr 2003, 23:05
Mate,

I'm off to BAESytems flying school in Jerez in a weeks time.
When i visited the school to do my aptitude tests, i was extremely impressed.
Its in the south of Spain, great sunshine and weather.
Its a well repected company throughout the world.
The fleet of aircraft are in the region of about 30 and are very well maintained,
As for the campus. Fully refurbished spanish style buildings.
Three simulators, single room with en-suite bathroom a gymnasium, swimming pool, tennis courts, volley ball, etc etc, oh and not to forget the bar.
what more could you ask for and the scenery in that part of Spain is stunning, you couldn't ask for better flying.
Its also about 20 mins from the coast...good surfing etc.

Checkout the website,

www.baesystems.es

Take it easy

Ricardo;)

D McQuire
2nd Apr 2003, 23:41
Well as a resident/inmate here for the last 8 months I can say it isn't all sunshine and lollypops but it is bloody good.

Stacks of work, especially for Phase 1 and not a sniff of flying for the first 20 weeks but it is worth it once you get past that phase. Yeep the flying is good and the fleet couldnīt be better kept. ATC is hmm mostly fine except when you get a trainee in the tower. ****e then you have the blind leading the blind. Luckily there is always a senior ATCer watching over the proceedings but it definitely increases the workload just when you donīt want it.

So far it has lived up to my expectations no mistake. Just don't think the place is a holiday camp cause it ainīt. It is very much a case of work bloody hard and play hard when you get the chance.

PS: the food gets bloody boring after a week or two...

Red Ice
4th Apr 2003, 00:31
Thanks for the feedback so far. i'm still making my mind up on BAE and OAT. There seems to be pros and cons for both so i'm having trouble making my mind up!

Hopefully the flyer road show will sort that out or its a trip to Spain as i've been to OAT.

Does anyone know what the ATPL manuals are like at BAE and the computer based learning stuff as OAT's looks pretty hot!

Any other info would be a help

Regards
Red Ice

The Original Jetpipe
4th Apr 2003, 14:21
Hi Red Ice.

If you have visited OAT and our planning a trip to Bae Systems.Why not check out Airmed Flight School. www.Airmed.es

They offer the same course at about 20% less in price!!! The course is slightly longer but you do finish will more flying hours than the other schools you have looked at.

IMO the extra money you will be paying at Bae is for the name on your C.V!! (and the swimming pool) Is it really worth it??

Just do all the "home work" you can!! In the end the decision is yours!!!!

Best Regards
The Original Jetpipe.

D McQuire
7th Apr 2003, 01:44
Red Ice,

The ATPL manuals here in Jerez are mostly excellent. In Phase 1 (AGK, Met, POF, Nav, R Nav and Mass and Balance) I passed the lot using the material provided. Hopefully Phase 2 will go as well :D

There is CBT stuff here too for both the ATPL exams and flight briefs too which is very good. Of course I can't compare it to Oxfords stuff as I haven't seen it but there you go.

VFE
7th Apr 2003, 02:37
Are they still handing out the Four Forces notes Maguire?

VFE.

D McQuire
7th Apr 2003, 18:25
VFE,

Thanks be to jaysus they are no longer handing out the Four Forces stuff. I heard it was sh*te. The new stuff is nearly all in-house apart from Air Law from Pooleys.

VFE
7th Apr 2003, 18:49
Lucky ole you I say! :}

Good luck with Phase II. Is Dave "Dastardly" Doulby still there? Top instructor him is.

VFE.

D McQuire
8th Apr 2003, 19:14
He is indeed VFE. Top man and no mistake.

Which course were you on?
How is life on the other side of dem big blue gates?

Red Ice
9th Apr 2003, 01:15
It would be nice to hear what guys who have been there think of the place rather than speaking in code!

Regards

R I

VFE
10th Apr 2003, 00:17
Vagi = brothel at top of road.. convenient for those hard nights when the study just get's too much. Actually, serious point here, I would think twice about going there as Spainish police recently busted a major illegal prostitution ring in the countries brothels. Romanian and Columbian "pimps" were placing ads in papers for a new life abroad etc, the poor girls signed up, were stripped of their identities, papers and freedom at Bogota Int'l and made to work in brothels across Spain against their will. Not good. Plus at $6euro for a bottle of beer it's vastly overpriced. Still, there's not many places you can sip on a bevvy, muse on this an' that with ya buddies and get groped by a burd in slinky gear at the same time......

Blue Gates = the entrance gates to BAE. They will become a depressing sight after a few weeks..... if that.

Viper = affectionately named after the Top Gun dude, the CFI who used to fly the one man, one world aircraft The Jaguar in the RAF..... even got the 'tache too. Not a man to cross. :}

VFE.

moggie
10th Apr 2003, 02:25
Actually, that moustache mankes him look like Manuel from Fawlty Towers!

Vaji is spelt with a "J" not a "G", or so I'm told.............

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Apr 2003, 10:32
VFE - Viper was also a Nimrod skipper, and I believe, the youngest at the time. During that period they were carrying nuclear armaments. The stories of teaching on Jags during a war in S America also makes for interesting stories.

Good Boss to boot.