PDA

View Full Version : Edi/ Scot ATC

pipistrelle
15th Mar 2003, 00:46
Flew into EDI International recently (first time in a long time) and was vectored all over the sky on the approach. seems that Scottish cause loads of snarl ups which EDI controllers are expected to alleviate. Not very professional, and V frustrating at the end of a long day to be sent all over the sky to allow an airbus to have his stabilised approach at around ten miles @ less than 160 kts. Of gourse cynically speaking maybe the controllers mum likes seeing aircraft performing aerobatic displays outside her window whilst waiting to land at Edinburgh International.
P.S. is Runway 12/30 an active runway or an aircraft parking lot - wonderful things notams....

radar707
15th Mar 2003, 11:27
At GLA (and I'm sure EDI) every aircraft gets the best service we can provide within the confines of the limited controlled airspace we have available to use.

If that means an airbus wants a stabilised approach at 10d <160kts then he's entitled to it, as are you should you require it.

As for sorting out Scottish snarl ups, they do the best job they can when all the aircraft arrive at once and provide you with the best and above all SAFEST service they can.

As an approach controller at GLA I have no problems at all with the way traffic is presented to me from Scottish.

AyrTC
16th Mar 2003, 13:36
pipistrelle

The reason that you are "vectored all over the sky" is to try and stop you entering the TWEED hold.ATCO's at ScACC work their "bits" off to try and minimise holding,however from now on we may just start using the phrase "route TARTAN TWEED to take up the hold at FL 240 delay not determined due traffic" that is a lot less work for us but if that is what you want let us know.

AyrTC:eek:

Findo
17th Mar 2003, 21:02
Pip. Exactly how difficult is it to follow a few headings ?

What exactly makes you say Scottish cause lots of snarl ups ? Certainly not at 160kts !!

pipistrelle
18th Mar 2003, 12:49
Sorry if I caused offence to the guys (& Gals) @ Edi/Gla, possibly the root cause of the problem is the very poor layout of taxy ways at Edi,causing probs for Edi atc trying to get A/C off between arrivals. Is there any likelyhood of a full length parallel taxy way for the main runway? backtracking at busy times does cause delays.

18th Mar 2003, 16:35
After Alistair Darling was delayed a couple of weeks ago the project is supposedly moving forward; some optimists suggest that it could be completed by the end of the year. Don't hold your breath!

springbok449
23rd Mar 2003, 07:29
Pip, maybe the said Airbus was doing a non-precision approach onto 24 at EDI as per NOTAMs at the moment?
If thus is the case then the A/C might need to be fully configured and stable before he commences the final part of the procedure...hence the lower speed on approach.
Use Scottish a lot so as EDI and never realy seem to suffer any probs just sometimes a little ramp congestion at EDI but then that is hardly an ATC problem.