PDA

View Full Version : Bournemouth GA Fees

Charlie Fox
14th Mar 2003, 15:29
Have Bournemouth adopted a NO TO GA philosophy????
Private flight in a PA32 EGJJ to EGHH March 02/03 2003.
Landing Charge £26.40
Parking 26hrs £22.00
Passenger Load Supplement £5.50 per person
Security Charge £5.50 per person
Ground Handling Charge EXECAIR £44.00 (Compulsory if parking on main apron)

Total for 7 POB = £169.40 excluding VAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PS. I won't be going there again in a hurry.

englishal
14th Mar 2003, 19:57
Bloody hell...thats criminal.

It makes the local EGHH flying club rates seem far more reasonable [as they include landings / approaches....]...

EA:D

rustle
15th Mar 2003, 17:27
Does seem a bit steep...

For my £40/pa "country membership" I always use the club facilities and pay the landing fee (only) there.

Evo
15th Mar 2003, 18:33
I've got mixed feelings about Bournemouth. I've flown in there twice and was charged £22 quid both times - that's a lot for a landing fee, but at least you see some evidence that they have services to provide when you arrive (even if it is just a lift to and from your aeroplane and security entering and leaving the terminal). There are plenty of other places down south where you hand over only slightly less for s*d all...

A and C
16th Mar 2003, 18:39
The landing fees at BOH were always a bit steep but the fuel was cheap (by UK standards) I found that if I was to pick up about 140 lts of avgas it would go a long way to ofsetting the high landing fee.

However the beancounters have had a field day with this security thing.

Julian
17th Mar 2003, 01:22
Bl00dy hell !!!!

I fly from Bournemouth as well and use their club aircraft. Landing fees are inclusive and it seems to add up to quite a saving after reading this post!

I have White Waltham down the road but at £120/hr for a club aircraft it actually pays me to drive to Bournemouth and fly from there.

Dufwer
17th Mar 2003, 06:06
Comparing the solo hire of a C-152 at Bournemouth to a club at a small grass strip a few miles north west, Bournemouth was only £4 / hour more expensive. For that you get ATC, a long FLAT runway, security, slightly cheaper fuel, landing fees included. I don't know how much work is required at a grass airfield to keep the runway in order but it can't be much more than Bne spends of grass cutting.

Charlie Fox, how does the amount you spent compare to similar airfields, like Bristol or Southampton? Surely the handling fees you talk about are a rip off to GA almost anywhere.

PS, I like sunny Bournemouth :O

D

2Donkeys
17th Mar 2003, 06:27
Bournemouth's total fees have been painful for a while now. The "trick" of being "handled by one of the resident clubs/companies is about the only way to get around them. Interesting isn't it that it is not so much the landing that you pay through the nose for, as the various add-on charges.

There are ways around the system though.

I took a 3.5 tonne US registered twin there a month or so ago with just me on board. In theory, anything over 3 tonnes requires handling by Servisair, but with some sweet talking, they were prepared to acknowledge that an aircraft arriving crew-only was unlikely to need much "help".

Another funny at Bournemouth is their insistance that N-reg aircraft should not be charged VAT. Heavily queried at the time, but they insisted...

Compared to other "big" airports in the UK, Bournemouth is pretty much in alignment. Places like Bristol, Southampton will part you with similar amounts of money.

A few are noticeably better; Teesside comes to mind. Many are far worse. Luton and Newcastle are obvious examples.

tomcs
17th Mar 2003, 09:53
I have to agree....i've just done my Night rating there and the landing fees add seriously quickly...i ended up spending over £400 on the silly things!

Not cheap!

Tom

WorkingHard
18th Mar 2003, 06:33
This is perhaps something on which our splendid flying lawyer may offer advice. I seem to remember something about the "Airfield Licence" as issued by the CAA having clauses to the effect that the aifield must be available to all users on an equal basis. If GA is being effectively excluded by disproportionate charging then the terms of the licence may have been breached. I believe I am correct in saying that if sufficient numbers "complain" to the CAA they will investigate breaches. Any one with more detailed knowledge please?

White Knight
19th Mar 2003, 03:09
Back in 1990 I got charged £84 to do an ILS approach, land and park for an hour. That was in a seneca. VERY expensive.

Dusty_B
19th Mar 2003, 19:50
Avoid Bournemouth.:eek: