PDA

View Full Version : ELT- How serious?

aerfungus
13th Mar 2003, 21:34
I was listening to Shannon Center Atc on a scanner today, when several aircraft reported that they had picked up a faint ELT.
Im aware that its an Emergency Locater Transmitter,what I dont know is when they are used by an aircraft?
Do they indicate a serious problem? and
Do both commercial and light aircraft have them?
Thanks for your help!:O

Onan the Clumsy
13th Mar 2003, 22:23
It could indicate a serious problem, but more likely it means an aircraft has had a heavy landing.

The ELT is a small transmitter that has it's own battery pack and is activated through an inertial switch. It transmits a repeated tone on the emergency frequency and is used in search and rescue efforts. Unfortunately, a really heavy landing can feel a little like a crash to the airplane and can activate the unit. It depends on how sensitive the switch is.

Alternatively, somebody could have accidentally switched the unit on directly, or, in the States at least, you are allowed to test the unit in the first five minutes of every hour.

Aircraft large and small carry these units and airliners typically listen in on the emergency frequency as they may be the first people to hear the signal if it results from a real incident in the middle of nowhere.

There has been at least one rescue effort in the Rockies that started before the aircraft was even known to be lost. A transiting aircraft heard the signal and was able to report it and get everyone rescued promptly.

BTW, they also manufacture a watch now that'll transmit an ELT signal, though it's operator activated only.

Hope this helps.

411A
14th Mar 2003, 04:12
ELT...that very necessary bit that just might save your butt.
Absolutely necessary equipment....'some' neglect the batteries....fools.:yuk:

compressor stall
14th Mar 2003, 09:05
It need not be from an aeroplane. It could be from a yacht or boat in distress, or in this part of the world at least, a 4wd party in the middle of the 45Celcius desert who have broken down.

Aircraft monitor the frequency and report it when they hear something. The relative loudness of the ELT by different aircraft would help to locate the rough vicinity prior to the signal being picked up by a satellite and may expedite rescue.

redbar1
14th Mar 2003, 11:08
ELT - our good friend in need! Yes, neglecting ELT batteries is just as smart as skipping your insurance payments!

Problem is it's getting 'too popular' - more and more often, when the SAR helos have homed in on a signal, they are hovering over either a parked a/c, a marina, or some backpacker who accidentially turned it on. :\ For this reason, I'm not too impressed by the ELT-watch. The new 406Mhz ELTs might alleviate some of this, hopefully.

"Support Search and Rescue - Get Lost!" :cool: (quoted from SARSAT/COPAM sticker)

cheers,

Tinstaafl
14th Mar 2003, 14:46
The only ELT watch of which I'm aware is made by Breitling.

It takes a deliberate action to unlock & extend the ELT antenna. This turns the ELT on. Having done so the watch has to be returned to Breitling for refitting/repair.

I've heard they'll do it for free if you can prove it was for SAR purposes but charge like a wounded bull if it was not an emergency.

Can't see too many people would be keen to incur a US$1000 fee (or whatever) just out of idle curiosity. :eek:

redbar1
14th Mar 2003, 15:36
Tinstaafl,

Thanks, good news! :ok:

Btw, must be many a sad kiddos not allowed to play with daddys new watch..... :{

qsp888
1st Aug 2003, 00:47
THE FREQUENCY IT TRANSMITS ON, IS IT 121.5?

Point Seven
1st Aug 2003, 01:23
Yup, apparently it transmits a 'B' in morse code repeatedly on 121.5

P7

5milesbaby
1st Aug 2003, 05:50
Very rarely a side tone can also be heard transmitting the registration of the distressed craft, but have only happened on this twice. Maybe this will be a futuristic way of determining hoaxes from real emergencies as relevant contact details can be associated on a database, therefore emergency numbers are always at hand. :confused:

paulo
4th Aug 2003, 08:00
Someone will surely correct me if I'm wrong, but given that radio reach is all about wattage, I'd guess the Breitling novelty watch will only help if you crash right into the D&D unit's antenna. :p

van der vart
17th Aug 2003, 01:31
what will ATC do when pilots report ELT?

ORAC
17th Aug 2003, 02:35
Paulo, Breitling claim the range to be 100nm, assuming the SAR aircraft is at FL200. Not sure how long the battery will last though. :hmm:

fourthreethree
17th Aug 2003, 22:23
There can't be too many amusing stories involving ELT's but here's one, which took place a couple of weeks ago. A couple of aircraft under my control reported an ELT, so it was passed on to Amsterdam ACC. Upon investigation, it turned out that some highly intelligent burglars had stolen an ELT, switching it on in the process. So as they drove off in their getaway vehicle they were blissfully unaware that they were sending out a "WE ARE HERE, PLEASE COME AND ARREST US" signal to all and sundry. Made my day.:) :)

5milesbaby
18th Aug 2003, 04:31
As civil ATC when we get an ELT reported, we telephone our D&D cell at West Drayton and give them the reporting a/c's position and height from when they began to receive and also stopped receiving ELT. Was a nightmare when the car transporting ship overturned in the channel a year ago, it sent out its ELT for about 4 DAYS!!! Got a bit tiresome after a while.... :bored: