PDA

View Full Version : VOR Over station Sensor

Golden Rivet
13th Mar 2003, 13:06
Can anyone enlighten me as to what the over station sensor is and how it works ?

Cant find it in any of my notes and its driving me potty - a web search throws up nothing of interest.

Thanks

GR

getonit
13th Mar 2003, 19:18
I can give you enough information to be dangerous.

My experience is with the PRIMUS 1000, and it has something to do with the zone of confusion and how the autopilot intereprets the signal and corrects for it. I believe it based on a DME distance and the radio signal.

Jerboa
16th Mar 2003, 10:24
I've just had a look at some B747SP info.
In the VOR zone of confusion beam deviation signals are unreliable so overstation logic removes the beam deviation signal and the aircraft uses course error for a short period of time.(approx 25 secs).
It qoutes a figure of >8millivolts/sec beam deviation and the roll channel is VOR on-course. The overstation logic circuitry is in the autopilot roll computer.
Hope this helps !

Golden Rivet
16th Mar 2003, 11:19
Many thanks for the replies

GR

hoss
17th Mar 2003, 08:28
A little more information for you.

On my Aircraft type when VOR OS appears in the Advisory Display Unit the CRS selector can be used in the same way as the HDG selector (assuming your in VOR/LOC as opposed to RNAV) giving a smoother turn onto the next track. Kind of like a 'manual turn anticipation' if you like. :8

Safe flying, hoss

BOAC
17th Mar 2003, 09:19
Not forgetting the usual 'caveat' of not using VOR/LOC to track over a VOR UNLESS the DME is co-located or you will NOT get the OS damping.