PDA

View Full Version : List of Flight Schools/Colleges/Uni websites...

Spike001
12th Mar 2003, 20:58
Hi

I'm now starting looking into more depth about what to study and where to take my next flying qualification.

I'm looking at doing my ATPL groundschool, or something else during the mean time, and i thought it would be very handy if people could reply to this posting with lists of Flight Schools/Colleges/ or universities - ideally sites containing course info, prices etc.

Many thanks :cool:

Send Clowns
12th Mar 2003, 21:47
Try a google search for the sites, or click the banners here as they appear (most advertise on PPRuNe). The names of the schools are on the CAA website, but the format is not simple to use. Working from memory:

Modular Full-Time (in UK)

Bournemouth (BCFT) (click banner above)
Cabair
Glasgow College of Nautical Studies
London Guildhall
Oxford (OATS)

Modular Distance Learning

BCFT
Bristol Groundschool
Cabair
GTS
London Guildhall (?)
OATS

Anyone remember any more?

Best of luck,
Send Clowns
BCFT

Charter
12th Mar 2003, 21:55
Try AEROFAN in Madrid. www.aerofanfto.com

They train in English and it's cheap.

regards.

Send Clowns
13th Mar 2003, 22:17
Ummm ... but according to their website they do not run the course. They only show integrated training, not separate groundschool :confused:

There are courses available abroad, in other JAA nations and in the USA, though one or two of the latter have lost their approvals, others shut for other reasons and I don't know who is left. One caution: before you take English-language groundschool under a JAA authority approval other than the CAA compare the exam system to the UK. The language is the same, the exams may not be.

The CAA has made massive changes, including fleibility about how many exams to write in the first sitting, extra sittings (up from 3 to 4 attempts per subject, total sittings raised to 6) and removing from the question bank hundreds of questions that are incomprehensible, unanswerable, ambiguous or simply incorrect. The few problems left are known to the schools. It may be that these changes have not been made by other nations, ans the exams may be considerably more difficult.

The schools in the newest member states may also be in the condition of panic all the UK schools were in 3 years ago!

I am not saying you will encounter these problems, it may be that others are as well-set as we are here. You may have difficulties, so study the issue and go in with your eyes open. The expense is such that some effort to investigate visit a few likely places is essential.