PDA

View Full Version : Help pse, UK PPL BFR equiv

stiknruda
11th Mar 2003, 20:14
yet again I ask this font of wisdom an obvious question!

My UK PPL BFR-thingy expires this w/e. For the past week or 3, I have been trying to get this done but weather/chosen instructor availability/busy on my tractor/etc, have precluded this happening to date.

In short I have a few more than my required 12 hours :) and am wondering how I will be penalised if I fail to get the tick in the box before midnight Friday?

Thanks chaps/chapesses in anticipation.

Stik

expedite_climb
11th Mar 2003, 20:28
In a word, or 10, you'll need to do a full skills test (with examiner)

Irv
11th Mar 2003, 21:35
you'll need to do a full skills test (with examiner)

Negative - NOT the full end-of-ppl-course Skills Test - just a good club checkout style content with an examiner - a mini skills test. (no nav).
stiknruda: Why not use this as an excuse to do something different - find a school which will do an hour's night tuition tomorrow night, or have an hour's tailwheel with someone, have an hour's IMC, have an hour's aerobatics... but get it signed as an hour's training and then get the certificate signed too by an examiner before it expires.

Doghouse
11th Mar 2003, 22:14
It's not a disaster if you don't get the SEP class rating signed in time, but it will cost you a bit and give you some extra hassle.

The deal is that you must meet the 'by experience' flying requirements (including flight with instructor) AND have your class rating signed before the lapse date.

If you do not manage to achieve BOTH of these requirements then your licensed has lapsed. In this case you have to undertake a skills test with an examiner (although there is no nav element). This, of course, means you will have to pay an examiner's fee on top of the plane hire.

Hope you get it sorted.

PS I don't want to sound like me muvva with the 'told you so line', but remember that you can do the dual flight with an instructor at any stage within the last year of the licence. Get it done early and you shouldn't have to be at the mercy of the weather in the last month. Good luck

stiknruda
15th Mar 2003, 22:08
Thanks to those that posted.

IRV

Great idea combining it with additional trg! Unfortunately I have been happily stuck in a tail-wheel day/vfr upside down and rolling kind of rut:D

As it was my stamp expired midnight Thursday. On Friday I allowed an airline pilot chum to fly/solo my vintage aeroplane - the one that Aerbabe did so very well in, and I caught a ride in the RHS.

An Examiners Calls...

An old examiner "chum" popped in today in some vodka powered agricultural airborne conveyance to do my FLIGHT TEST RENEWAL;

after a small chat about which aeroplane to do this in - we agreed on my vintage side by side tailwheel. Briefed, preflighted, started the beast (tied down!!) and sat back enjoying a pot of Earl Grey, whilst it gently warmed up.

I have flown the YAK infrequently but have never "really" felt comfortable/current in it.

The stress of this being a renewal rather than a "check" was very obvious to me! (Trappers in the light blue days, 20 yrs ago).

Anyway - off we went and after an hour and a bit of PFL's, stalls and steep turns, etc I was pleased to be allowed to land!

So why am I boring you all with this?

Well - I spend the majority of my time in a single seat aerobatic aeroplane and normally either transit S&L or practice aeros within 10 mins of home. When I do fly in the old bird, it is normally to introduce someone to the wonderful cheap world of PFA aviation.

Today, having someone dictate what I did certainly sharpened my approach to few things!

Having passed I then had to get my Pitts fix, too!

Stik,

smiley happy boy

StrateandLevel
16th Mar 2003, 08:32
The main point is that you have a year in which to do it. You can be signed up for a further two years as soon as you meet the requirement in the last 12 months of the two year period!

If its any consolation, the Skill test does not normally take an hour, the dual flight must be at least 1 hour!