PDA

View Full Version : A fork in the road!

Capt BK
10th Mar 2003, 23:34
Ok, I know lots of people have been asking the "what to do" question lately but I wondered if I could ask for your thoughts on my predicament.

Im taking redundancy at the end of the year and the package should pay for my CPL/IR with possibly a bit left over. It's any money left over and an HSBC PSL that are giving me a bit of a headache. I just dont know where to go from there:confused:

The way I see it I have three options:

1. Do the MCC and money depending a JOC. This would leave me in the ring fighting for a RHS job but would require only a small loan and hence low debt.

2. Do an FI. This would leave me with a tad more debt and I could do the MCC when/if the market picks up. Apply for CTC, easyjet etc.

3. Do both. This is obviously the prefered option but would leave me with much more debt.

I suppose it comes down to how much debt i'm prepared to have after training when the chances of a flying job are almost non existant and i end up working behind the bar of my local!

What do you think? Shall I limit my chances and try to stay out of the red or shall I go the whole hog and worry about the finances later:confused:

Andy_R
11th Mar 2003, 10:45
Compared to many others going down the self sponsored route it appears to me that you will be far less in debt at the end of it all than the majority. So go for 3. and do both, broaden your knowledge as much as you can and keep all options open.
As long as you can service the debt when you have got to the stage of applying for RHS by working somewhere doing something, even if it is flipping burgers, then go go go.
If you really want it you will find a way.

And let's face it. If you are taking redundancy you may as well pursue a career you really want to do, while the money is available. It may be your only chance. You may not succeed. But you will have tried and had loads of fun along the way.

Best of luck

Wee Weasley Welshman
11th Mar 2003, 14:27
Do the FI rating. An MCC can be got at short notice inside a week should a job offer or interview require an MCC in your mits.

Not that getting an FI job is going to be at all easy.

Good luck,