PDA

View Full Version : Pros / Cons of ATC

Andrew M
10th Mar 2003, 22:07
Quite interested in working in ATC, but a few problems entered my head such as:

* Is working in ATC stressful, as conveyed by TV ?

* Is the wages worth it ?

* Although I have 3 highers as needed with regards to the entry requirements, are these really sufficient enough ?

Please excuse this stupid question but I don't really have a clue about getting started in ATC. There isn't as much information and books available as learning to fly.

Chilli Monster
10th Mar 2003, 22:22
Taking all your points in order.

1) If you're not suited to it you'll find it stressful - even if you can do the job. (doing and being suited being two totally different things after all). If you find you enjoy it then you probably won't find it stressful.

2) If you're looking at doing it just for the money then forget it - it's not going to be the career for you. There are other jobs out there with less pressure and less chance of screwing up on such a large scale for more money. Most people in ATC do it because they enjoy it.

3) Paper qualifications are only a guide. Some people with only 5 GCSE's make very good controllers, some graduates fall flat on their ar**s. It's down to ability at the end of the day. That's the whole idea behind aptitude testing because that's what it all boils down to.

Would I want to do anything else though - not a chance :)

Andrew M
11th Mar 2003, 00:44
Although it's nothing like reality - don't know about other PPRuNeer's experinces with VATSIM is - but they are a virtual ATC orgnisation.

They provide ATC for Microsfot Flight Sim users based on reality.

It doesn't show any real aptitude for real ATC in my opinion, but I am interested in the job - not just the wages !

The virtual service does teach simple things such as basic communication and basic rules such as squawk code assignments.

(Hopefully) See some of you at Bournemouth !!! :D

Jerricho
11th Mar 2003, 14:17
Topuper and CM are both 100% correct. It is a very rewarding job, and it's one that when you walk out the door after your shift, you can leave there! No taking files home, worring about hitting target budgets etc....

Shift work can be an adjustment if you have never done it before. In the UK at NATS's Terminal Control Unit is 6 days (2 morning 2 afternoon and 2 night shifts) then 4 days off (well, a sleep day and then 3 days off!). The hours you work are regulated, and if you're the sort of person who wants to sit in a control tower and look at the planes, there is the possibility, or if a radar is more your thing then _LOADS_ of scope. This will depend upon which "path" you follow in the college, be it Approach or Area. And if you ask anybody, they will always say their function is better than the other!!!

Gisajob
11th Mar 2003, 15:49
If you send an email to [email protected] we will send a return email with the following information. You may find it helpful.

1. Four ways to become a UK ATCO
2. General Information on UK ATCO jobs
3. Guide to UK Licencing Part 1
4. Guide to UK Licencing Part 2

It is a great job.

Safeskys Ltd

Andrew M
11th Mar 2003, 17:27
Yeah, tower controller looks best

I'm even more interested after finding out you can choose which position you would like to control. Didn't know you had the option!

Vlad the Impaler
11th Mar 2003, 17:58
I think "Choose" is probably overstating the case. You get to express a preference then they send you where they want. That's NATS anyway. Great job though!!!!!!!!!

Andrew M
11th Mar 2003, 18:58
I must say thank you to all of you who replied - you guys must be sick replying to all these 'newbie' posts !

Cosmic Wind
12th Mar 2003, 11:13
At the end of the day its the probably the best part time job in the world. Don't take it to seriously and you'll have a great time. Stressful!, I don't think so, like many professions its so over regulated that at most airfields a bit of stress would be a god send.