PDA

View Full Version : Passengers 'visits' to cockpit

Dakota Queen
9th Mar 2003, 19:45
Hey there lucky people in the front,

I'm hoping to do my PPL later this year after a lifelong interest in aviation. Whenever I travel I am always tempted to request a visit to the cockpit! I'd love to be up there and have a chat especially now that I've covered some of the PPL theory.

Would I be politely told "sorry, X airlines does not have a policy of allowing people into the cockpit". When I was 7 my dad brought up to the front of an Aer Lingus 747-100 and the captain allowed me push the speed up a knot!

Anyway, I'm guessing after 9/11 perhaps allowing an adult in is an issue - whats the story?

Thanks and no p1ss taking!!

:O

jar66_b2
9th Mar 2003, 20:01
The reporting points forum has a huge thread regarding access to the flight deck. Even staff of airlines are starting to have trouble getting in let alone Joe public.

Chances are if you asked you'd get a reply along the lines of "Since 9/11 it's no longer allowed".

Sad but true.

RadarContact
9th Mar 2003, 20:03
Although one still hears it happens on some occasions, the general policy is "absolutely no visits to the cockpit".

This annoys some of us (=pilots) almost as much as it does those who are turned down, but since 911 the attitude towards the risks of cockpit admittance has dramatically changed...

brownstar
9th Mar 2003, 20:27
9/11 changed the rules. It is not possible to visit the cockpit at all, which is a shame because it always a good morale boost for budding pilots who got a chance to ask questions, and view the operation of the flight.

Maybe things will change in the future ....

CaptainSquelch
9th Mar 2003, 21:45
Queen,

You might stand a chance if you ask for a visit after the flight. Once parked at the gate, between the end of the last checklist and the last pax disembarking there are usually a few minutes ...

Maybe, you never know

Good luck
Sq

cb9002
10th Mar 2003, 17:48
Hey CaptainSquelch

I've tried that one several times (asking at the gate), and still no luck. The last time I flew (VS011), I got what might be a more honest response from the purser:
"Sorry, but the captain's in a hurry to get to the pub..."

mono
11th Mar 2003, 03:23
Most of the pilots in our airline are quite upset that there are no longer cockpit visits. It would break up the tedium of a long haul flight among other things.

However, we still entertain requests to visit the flight deck at the end of a flight, when safely on stand.

The look of dissappointment on a young childs face when you tell them that even with all those TV's we can't tune into tellytubbies is almost worth it.:D :D

Miserlou
13th Mar 2003, 20:51
You might try a written request in advance quoting the details of the flight you intend to book. That way the company has the chance to clear it through the proper channels though, as stated, most companies have a ban in force.

I am one of those (pilots) opposed to an absolute ban. Our hospitality is no longer available other than the anonymous PA system. And it is great for the kids!!!

jet_breeze
13th Mar 2003, 21:28
The pilot of the 747-400 ( Virgin Atlantic ) changed heading to show me what that button does after i asked him we banked about 30 degrees and then back again he then showed me a few things on the FMC like the INIT PREF page. I recently went on a United flight A320 to Miami from Washington and after the flight they invited people to visit the flightdeck over the PA.
Regards

Kestrel_909
14th Mar 2003, 21:22
As I said in another thread related to this, I think we all appreciate the ban being there for everyones safety (but not sanity lol.)
Post 9/11 I have been unable to gain access to the cockpit which was a great disappointment to me.

Miserlou, I tried writing to my airline over a month before I flew with them to Tenerife but the reply was no along with the known explanation, I wasn't even allowed a prior/after flight visit and I suppose this turn down was the worst as the last time I flew I didn't have the same knowledge of aviation and flying as I did then and really wanted a chat with the guys up front.

Mono, try telling them that with all these TVs you can't even get Sky Television! lol

But for now, the closest I think most of us can get is www.airliners.net or www.mi3fhm.co.uk <--- My website :-)

Cheers and take care all,
Hope better times ahead!

Hilico
14th Mar 2003, 23:08
The holiday flights I've been on (Airtours), the Captain or FO is usually standing outside the cockpit as the pax disembark and there's time for a quick technical discussion just before being swept off by the rest of the family. "Loved the way you missed all the towering cu!" "No problem!" etc.

Pandora
17th Mar 2003, 15:05
In BA visits are still allowed once the aircraft is parked on stand. Don't take it personally if the captain would rather go to the pub. After up to 12 hours at work he may need the drink ;) However if you get a flight crew who have, say, a 50 min turnaround they might be happy to talk to someone who isn't the occupant of the other seat, especially if they have been on a 5 day tour with him :cool: . I still carry my packet of 'I've visited the flight deck' stickers, even if the only person I have managed to give one to recently is my mum.

411A
18th Mar 2003, 06:57
Have always in the past enjoyed the pax visits, especially those who ask..."hey Captain, how fast are we goin'?"
Always replied, fifty miles per hour faster than an AirBus.

When they asked why, replied....because this aeroplane is made in America.

TriStar....M.86:D :D
(With proper RollsRoyce engines, of course)

Bellerophon
18th Mar 2003, 14:17
411A

Have always in the past enjoyed the pax visits, especially those who ask..."hey Captain, how fast are we goin'?" Always replied…

Seven hundred and fifty miles per hour faster than a Tristar.

When they asked why, replied....because…

This aeroplane was made in England.

Concorde....M2.0 :D :D

With proper RollsRoyce engines, of course

Absolutely, at last, we agree!

Dakota Queen

In BA, visits to the flight deck during flight are no longer allowed.

However, as Pandora has said, once the aircraft is parked on stand and the engines are shut down, then flight deck visits are still allowed, at the Captain’s discretion. Most will happily permit them, and on my fleet, flight deck visits take place after nearly every flight.

Feel free to ask, and Good Luck with your PPL.

Regards

Bellerophon

Dakota Queen
18th Mar 2003, 15:47
Thanks for all that guys - will be sure to burn the ear off some captain after my next flight!! If its any one of you you'll be sorry you let me on the flight deck in the first place!

DQ

:} :} ;)