PDA

View Full Version : Where have all the topics gone?

weetabix
9th Mar 2003, 18:28
Unless i'm sadder than I think and have started to dream about posting messages on PPRuNE, at least two topics have been removed from the 'private flying' board with no notification or justification whatsoever! :confused:
I wouldn't be surprised if they were offensive or exploiting the board in some way, but these appeared to be genuine requests for advice and recommendations on flight training in the States; a subject concerning many visitors to this board, judging by the sticky posts at least.

I would appreciate it if anyone could enlighten me to the reasons for the apparent removal of these topics and cutting short a friendly exchange of opinions and experiences - something I thought was to be encouraged here! ;)

I think the posts I refer to were called something like "PPL in USA" and "Flying in the USA".

cheers,
Weet

BRL
9th Mar 2003, 23:53
Hi Weet. Both threads are in the admin forum right now and will be returned very soon.

PPRuNe Towers
10th Mar 2003, 11:19
......and your moderator refered them 'upstairs' because their content appeared to consist mainly of blatant plugging or referred to schools which we will not have mentioned on the site.

Rob Lloyd

weetabix
10th Mar 2003, 16:34
"...and your moderator refered them 'upstairs' because their content appeared to consist mainly of blatant plugging or referred to schools..."

So are we only allowed to talk about a school if we had a bad experience there or are we forbidden from mentioning any school names whatsoever?

I look forward to seeing the outcome of their review.

PPRuNe Towers
10th Mar 2003, 17:36
Twist my words to your heart's content.

Two schools don't get mentioned on this site. One because it didn't pay it's advertising bill but still operates to this day and the other because the owner/operator threatens legal action whenever any negative comment is made. We feel it is equally fair therefore that nothing positive ever appears regarding that school either.

If you have problems with our policy feel free to continue using other sites or start your own. We've done this for more than 7 years now and know there are sharks out there. Many of our readers are consistently discovering this for themselves. We'll continue with providing a free service, run and constantly monitored by professionals in the industry who have absolutely nothing to sell to you other than a badge.

Rob

englishal
10th Mar 2003, 20:11
Can't you just remove the name? The topics were useful and informative? There was no blatant advertising intended, I put forward my view of the place I use often and would recommend to others. I have no connection with said place other than I pay them to use their services from time to time.

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have mentioned the name directly, but there has been a number of other posts mentioning "BAD" schools which have gone un-moderated. There has also been at least one user on these forums who's username has actually been the name of the school...which is advertising by association....

Anyway, I respect your right to moderate, and as you say this is a free [an excellent] free service...thank you.

All the best
EA:D

BRL
10th Mar 2003, 20:55
Hi Al. I think Rob has summed up whats what with the missing threads.

We do remove the name when the two schools are mentioned.

We don't have a problem with posters recommending schools on threads, this forum is full of that as you can see, but you(not you personally Al) don't come on and recommend your own school/club.

As for the user who's user name is the same as his school, well, he advertised and paid so no problems there.

The two threads will be back shortly. :D

englishal
10th Mar 2003, 21:31
Fair comment BRL :D Its easy for Joe Public [us] to expect everything for free....I know, I run a website for free [well, at cost to me], and still get every man and his dog expecting more :D

Thanks and rgds
EA:D

weetabix
10th Mar 2003, 21:37
First of all I really didn't intend so twist your words Rob. As you might expect, I was unaware that two schools behaved so offensively and as such didn't really understand what your first message meant. Also, without that information, I hope you can understand my displeasure at apparently having the effort of a post intended to be helpful, along with an apparently inoffensive topic removed without trace.

I am grateful that you have shared your reason for moderating these topics and with that knowledge totally agree with your actions. I would also like to stress that I am no way involved with the school I mentioned, other than that I was a student there in 2000 and went back there last year for hours building.

I think PPRuNe is, as Al says, an excellent service and appreciate that you have taken the time to help me understand what was going on.

:O

Best Regards,
Weet

PPRuNe Towers
10th Mar 2003, 22:08
Cheers weet,

Glad we're all sorted out - there are limitations to the medium - always:O If any of you feel that a username is pushing a commercial agenda please hit the contact us button which appears on every page.

We have a long history of absolutely invaluable contributions from those involved in making their living from aviation but one way or another they respect our groundrules.

Regards
Rob