PDA

View Full Version : Summer 2003 at LACC

loadsofmoney
7th Mar 2003, 18:49
No doubt we all can't wait for it to start, but what exactly will be expected to work???:rolleyes:

8th Mar 2003, 10:31
You will work a modified version of management hours: monday to friday 0900-1700 [ 0900 monday to 1700 friday]. I am working the other shift 1700 friday to 0900 monday. It works on my computer model. By the way, if the union signs up to some of the kamikaze death shifts we've read about, NERC could become a union-free zone.

250 kts
8th Mar 2003, 10:31
Why don't you look under Summer WP 2003 at LACC and resurrect that thread. I'm astounded at how little people seem to care about what shifts they may potentially be working this summer together with the chance that management may want to combine T&P and cut the number of staff on the nights!!

There really has to be some proper debate on this or those who represent us have little to go on in negotiations.

250 kts
8th Mar 2003, 12:39
055166K,

I see we replied at the same time. which shifts are you talking about that are so kamikaze-and surely the staff will be given a chance to ballot if the changes are too radical-won't they???

But on your other note if the staff are in favour why should it become a union free zone-and even if it did how would that help staff to NOT do the type of shifts you are alluding to. Surely management would just impose them??

My other question is if we are required to say start mornings earlier because of the traffic changes,shouldn't that also apply to the other area units as well or is it just LACC as usual which takes all the pain whilst the other units continue merrily with, in comparison, excesses of staff.

zygote
8th Mar 2003, 15:50
The number of sectors open at 0630 is not a lot. Most need to be opened at 0650; so if the whole watch is brought in at 0630 I can see most of them going straight to the canteen. So as long as they can cope...............:yuk:

Roger That
9th Mar 2003, 10:51
Fair Point 250kts ..

I think that, from March / April watch rosters at ScACC (is summer here already ?), there are 3 times as many 0630 starts as before to take account of sector and traffic changes. (Indeed, around a third of the morning duty watch are required to be "plugged-in" before 7am)

One other thing, the plan also provides for these early starts to augment the night shift staffing not replace them.

RT

Arkady
10th Mar 2003, 08:12
Zygote

The number of sectors open at LACC before 7am is not determined by demand but by staffing. There are heavy restrictions on departures before 0700 to ensure extra sectors do not have to be opened as the night manning will not allow it. These are the same restrictions that will remain in place if we cannot split sectors after a night shift due to equipment failures.

If the LACC morning shift started at 0630 (or 0600 or even earlier) the night manning restrictions would be moved back to match and traffic levels would be comparable to 0700 now.

No early breakfasts I'm afraid!

zygote
10th Mar 2003, 13:58
Arkady

My Traffic Manager informs me that the only restrictions on at 0700 are usually S12 and S14. Unless you know otherwise.

250 kts
11th Mar 2003, 06:25
You're probably right at this time of the year. In the summer I would expect there also to be a DTY and North Sea restriction in place and also a LMS one too. Not sure about the other sectors but certainly there are delays caused at present at 0630.

Arkady
11th Mar 2003, 07:55
I stand corrected.

MDIs are used tactically to keep the demand down prior to 7am, far more significantly in the summer, which is when management want more early starts.

With budget airlines using 30min check in (or even 10 mins at the gate with hand luggage only) and charter airlines prepared to fly pretty much any time, how early is too early for the punters?

11th Mar 2003, 08:44
OK let's give it a go. but if the knock-on is an afternoon shift that finishes at 2130 there may be an awful lot of people walking to Spain this summer. Seriously though, put the package on paper and we'll give it full and proper consideration; I don't like to speculate on rumour and I'm afraid that that the shopfloor is not being kept as informed as it should be.

250 kts
11th Mar 2003, 19:42
Not being kept informed???-have a look at the EBS which now has a union section. Also I know that there has been considerable debate on at least 3 of the 5 watches-just ask your reps if you need to know something-I did and found them very well informed!!

12th Mar 2003, 13:47
Sorry 250, the target was not the union but the management. I would expect a letter or circular detailing the problem and the portfolio of solution options for consideration. As we are all aware communication is a management priority and one of their strongpoints...................NOT!