PDA

View Full Version : Jeppesen ATPL Manuals

Sprawler
6th Mar 2003, 09:36
Hi

Just wondering if any of you guys have used these notes? I was thinking of ordering a couple of the books just to keep the brain ticking over until I decide where I am going to do my ATPL theory course. I'm reluctant to sign up to any of the courses until I decide where I'm going to do my CPL; Ireland or UK. Are they the exact same as the notes that Oxford use for their ATPL course?

Thanks
Sprawler

BMW Man
6th Mar 2003, 09:56
They are the OAT Manuals, produced by Jeppesen. I bought a full set last summer in order to give me a head start before I had even enrolled on my PPL / modular training course. IMO they are SH**TE! Poorly written and clearly not proofed, given the number of random puntuation errors etc. For £550 I would expect the most authoritive manuals available, sadly they are lacking. If you use them, then use them as an adjunct to another set of manuals in order to cross-refer material. An oppo of mine has enrolled with Bristol GS and is presently preparing for his first set of exams. I have to say his manuals are far better than mine, they are the best I have seen and are comparable to many detailed reference tomes that I have encountered, when I studied at Med School and in the Royal Navy. At the end of the day the subject material is the same, but I would prefer a progressive flow of information with quality diagrams and graphical representation. The Bristol GS pack comes with a quite fantastic CD- ROM containing many extra tutorials and dozens of test papers etc. Horses for courses......

FlyingForFun
6th Mar 2003, 10:11
Regardless of how good they are (I don't know, I haven't seen them), why waste your money? You have to enroll on an approved course, and you will get a full set of notes when you do so (maybe even the same notes, depending on your choice of school), so you don't need more notes.

If you have money to burn on notes, and time to spare to study them, but you're not ready to enroll on a course yet, then spend the time and money on something useful instead - like flying!

If, when you receive your notes from your school of choice, you discover that they aren't sufficient to get you through the exams, that's the time you should look at buying another set of notes (after asking yourself why you didn't do your research properly and choose a school whose notes you think are good enough in the first place, of course!)

Have fun!

FFF
--------------

atb1943
6th Mar 2003, 23:41
The Oxford manuals were revised at the end of last year to eliminate a lot of the goofs of the first edition and add material too. There is also a free update service on the Oxford website at www.oxfordaviation.net/shop/notes.htm
cheers

CPilotUK
7th Mar 2003, 14:19
Regardless of how good they are (I don't know, I haven't seen them), why waste your money? You have to enroll on an approved course, and you will get a full set of notes when you do so (maybe even the same notes, depending on your choice of school), so you don't need more notes.

To be honest, I would do the same. If you are in the position to get a head-start, why not go for it?

Don't forget that each individual is different. While some can digest the vast amount of information in a short space of time, others can't. Students range from a young person living at home without any responsibilities, right up to a person who is married with perhaps 5 kids, a mortgage and full-time job.

C172Navigator
7th Mar 2003, 21:23
I bought the OAT manuals about 8 months ago to study whilst saving money, building some hours and losing a bit of weight. I've just enrolled with Bristol, got their manuals this week.

Doing the background reading was useful, if you have time to kill like I did then why not use it to study? That said I could probably of learned as much from three or four commerical text books and saved a few quid. I've seen various books of this type for sale with Transair and Pilot Warehouse.

The OAT books do have a lot of questions, and you can never have too many of those. They'll be useful for cross checking the Bristol notes.

The Bristol notes do seem very good - they are simpler to understand than the OAT notes.

Good luck.

Karl.