PDA

View Full Version : CPL/ATPL written

Bob Tav
4th Mar 2003, 18:46
:confused:
Howdy folks
Whilst enquring about distance learning to get my FI rating I was told that I am just as well doing the ATPL as for the little extra work I get a better qual. Any thoughts. Please bear in mind that I am fast approaching 48 and feel that I might have missed the starting pistol for jobs with the big boys, or any work other than instructor. Any comments? TA
PS. Any course provider reccommendations?

BroomstickPilot
4th Mar 2003, 19:32
Bob Tav

If you go along the ATPL route, you will be on your way to getting a CPL+IR+ME+'Frozen ATPL' (swallowed whole). In order to be able to 'unfreeze' your ATPL later, you will need to have flown multi pilot aeroplanes. A massive and expensive over-qualification if all you intend to do is 'aerial work'.

This also means you will have to get a job flying big aeroplanes. In view of the state of the job market, do you really believe you will be able to achieve this?

In addition, you will need to pass all 14 ATPL papers before you get your piece of paper, (as opposed to 9 for the CPL, which also affords you the option of taking your IR later).

If you do ATPL ground school, and later decide you wish to do CPL after all, you will have to obtain the permission of the CAA before you will be allowed to enter for the CPL exams.

These are just my initial thoughts. I suggest you need to get some good advice and think CAREFULLY before you commit yourself.

Very best wishes,

BroomstickPilot.

StrateandLevel
16th Mar 2003, 23:23
Or in other words 200 hours work versus 600.

Unfortunately the JAA CPL exams do not qualify you do do the IR, at any time. The IR exams are now a seperate set of exams but are included in the ATPL exams; whatever you take, they are always valid for the FI course, but only have a 36 month validity to complete both CPL and IR. If you don't need the IR or intend to fly large aeroplanes there is no advantage taking the ATPL writtens.