PDA

View Full Version : CPL/multi at Redhill?

C130Dreamer
4th Mar 2003, 06:27
Hi all,

I'm at that stage were I need to decide where I'm going to invest lots of very precious cash in a CPL/multi.

I've heard many good things about certain schools in the USA, price, clear skies, new aircraft and loads of space. However, I can't help being interested in training in good old, grey old, Blighty!

I've managed to narrow it down to a couple of UK schools, but I'd like some more info on one in particular. So, if anybody has any views on training at Redhill Aviation, I'd be interested in hearing them.

PeteB
4th Mar 2003, 07:16
I fly with Redhill aviation, and completed an IMC rating there last year. Their standard of instruction is very good and they have a number of well maintained aircraft. Redhill is a great place to fly from, having ATC but still a relaxed feel about the place. You also have the advantage of the 'Redair' group, whom Redhill aviation belong to, also have bases at Shoreham and Blackbushe.
The disadvantages of the club are: Redhill has grass runways and can be closed for short periods during heavy rain (but then Shoreham should be open and it has hard runways). Also, on occasion the organisational side of Redhill Aviation could be stronger: I often turn up for a flight on time, and end up leaving hours late because the aircraft is at the other end of the airfield (parked by the tower for security) and it needs fuel. Basically, if you turn up far earlier than you think you need to, this shouldn't be a problem. If you need any more info, send me a PM.

Cricketer
4th Mar 2003, 10:06
Does Redhill have PA28's? Also can you get there by public transport?

Duck-U-Suckerz
4th Mar 2003, 15:51
yes PA28 181 plus others, can't remember what but I borrowed a 181 a couple of years ago to fly down to Eaglescott in Devon and it stopped, started and steared OK.
and
no it's down a leafy lane.

PeteB
5th Mar 2003, 08:01
Yup, it has a couple of PA 28 Archers - one has an auto pilot and electric trim which is very nice, and both well maintained. You can get to Redhill town easily by train and/or bus, but the airfield is still a few miles away. You'd have to get a cab or at the very least use a bicycle.