PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow ATIS.

Max Angle
3rd Mar 2003, 21:53
A quick plea from the a driver. Could some of the people reading the ATIS at LHR please slow it down a bit, the guy reading the 19:20 report tonight was going so fast I had to listen to it about 3 times to get it all written down, it was just a gabble. If I had trouble then someone who does not have English as their first language and has been airbourne for 13 hours is really going to struggle.

Clear and slow please ladies and gents, or persuade your bosses to invest in the same automatic system they use at STN, it's very clear and comes out at just the right speed.

Airline Tycoon
4th Mar 2003, 14:27
I am one of those people who reads the ATIS at EGLL and I total agree with you that some of my colleagues do indeed read it far to quickly. Occasionally I have had to re-record the broadcast because the person I have taken over from has done it to fast.

The automated ATIS will be operational sometime this year, but as with all NATS projects it is running late!!

I shall take your comments onboard and pass them on to my colleagues.

fast cruiser
7th Mar 2003, 16:23
Hi chaps

When the automated system is introduced could you PLEASE PLEASE get rid of "caution when manouvering in the holding area as wing tip clearence is not assured" I fully appreciate why it is there because of the incident a few years back but it makes the ATIS so long and if you miss a bit of it for whatever reason it takes forever for it to come round again.

Could that statement be put in a NOTAM. etc etc

cheers

fc:}

West Coast
7th Mar 2003, 21:20
The ATIS should be read at the same pace as someone trying to write it down in shorthand. Ditto on having to listen to it multiple times over here. I wish the synthesized voice of digital ATIS was easier to understand. The ones up in Canada have a semi real sounding voice. I know theres not much can be done about that part however.

Muppet99
7th Mar 2003, 22:06
could you PLEASE PLEASE get rid of "caution when manouvering in the holding area as wing tip clearence is not assured"

We're talking about nothing much more than 5 seconds here?!:p

Gin Slinger
8th Mar 2003, 00:02
The automated ATIS at Bournemouth is excellent. Easy on the ear and at just the right pace so even a slothful handwriter like me can get all the information down first time without it being tediously slow.

I wonder if Heathrow's getting the same system?

Lost_luggage34
8th Mar 2003, 08:48
And the guy that does the Echo Echo thing is worthy of a mention !!

Capt H Peacock
10th Mar 2003, 14:23
Info W this afternoon read at a very measured pace, well done! Although I did for one minute think that the Vauxhall Conference results might follow:

Temperature 13 Dew Point 7
Farnborough Town 6 Kingstonian 0
Ramsgate 1 Woking Didn't:D

Point Seven
10th Mar 2003, 22:46
Sounds like the work of the mighty Hutchings!!

NigelOnDraft
11th Mar 2003, 09:08
<<The automated ATIS will be operational sometime this year, but as with all NATS projects it is running late!! >>

Please may it run later still!

Its always nice to hear a real voice - sometimes some humour - sometimes that annoying bloke who's speed and intonations vary - but its all part of life.

The auto ones are so boring - although the "punch and judy show" at IST is slightly better...

NoD