PDA

View Full Version : Uni flying/Simulator flying

pilotpj
3rd Mar 2003, 15:01
Hi,

This post has 2 points and I'm not sure if it's in the correct forum but here goes anyway...

I am a member of a university flying club believed to be the only one of its kind in the UK. We fly light aircraft (PA-28, C152) and have about 30 members of which approximatley 4 or 5 fly regularly - the rest have a keen interest in flying with the prospect of learning if they decide they want to. We organise flying related visits and have workgroups to share knowledge on PPL flying and of course, being a university club, a very good social schedule! I was wondering if our preconception of being 'one of a kind' was correct and I'm interested to see if there are any other clubs like this at any other uni in the country. We are completely separate from the UAS. I am also keen to promote ourselves so spread the word!

My second query is about simulator flying. As most of our flying members are studying Aeronautical Engineering and are possibly one day going to brave it in the world of professional pilots, as that seems to be the concensus of us PPL's - make it on the big stuff:O I was interested to see if we could get any sponsored sim time to give us a taster of what it's like flying big jet aircraft - something a bit different to SEP. If anyone knows how we could go about this, I'd be very grateful, as would my fellow club members.

Any information on either of these queries would be very much appreciated.

Safe flying...

PJ

Sink Rate
3rd Mar 2003, 16:33
That's great to hear, i wish that my uno offered that when I was there.

In answer to your question, there is a full motion, night visuals simulator near me of the Trident 3 variety. It's based in Tatsfield, near Biggin Hill Airport in Kent and was formerlly used my BEA airways (forerunners of BA).

Okay, its a dated aeroplane now but it still flies and handles like a modern jet, the only real differences being that it has clockwork dials instead of the more modern EFIS.

Prices are very reasonable, bordering on absurdly cheap and I highly recommend a few hours playing.

I have many hours on this now instructing (I'm a current airline pilot) so if you were after a sim operator and/or instructor then I'm happy to offer my services.

Either way for contact details then drop me an e-mail.

VBW,

SR

[email protected]

DVR6K
3rd Mar 2003, 19:17
Hiya!

Well, you're kind of right in saying you're the only uni flying club in the country as you are certainly the only one that does any flying. Down here in sunny Exeter, I've set up the foundations for a university flying club but only the social side seems to be active as flying down here is simply too expensive (£108/hr solo PA28) and it doesn't appeal to us students much.

The problem is, how do you get the people to fork out the cash??? Cost sharing sounds like a possibility but I've done the maths and negotiated with the flying club at EXT and can whittle it down to £33 pp/ph, still silly money.

I think we're hindered by the fact there are *only* 10,000 students down here and limited to Exeter or Dunkeswell, both v expensive. However, there are a hell of a lot of students who drive Golf GTIs and live in Surrey but they don't pay up!!

Anyway, my 4th and final year this year so have got better things to worry about!!

Have fun!

Genghis the Engineer
4th Mar 2003, 08:50
There are a few university gliding clubs around the country, but I think you're right in believing that you're the only powered flying club.

Given the relative costs - a reasonable 2-seater could be had for around £3k and run for around £20/hr, plus about half the licensing cost what I've never quite understood is why there are no University microlight flying clubs. (I confess a bias here, I took a few microlight lessons whilst an aero-eng student at Southampton and that was my first license, gained in the year after I graduated).

G

corp.f/a
4th Mar 2003, 10:20
Doesn't Oxford (The Uni) have a flying club?
CFA

YakYak
4th Mar 2003, 14:23
DVR6K

"Down here in sunny Exeter, I've set up the foundations for a university flying club but only the social side seems to be active"

Perhaps you could try a little publicity? I, for one, have never heard of any flying club (under construction or otherwise) in the 2 years I've been here.

Agree 100% about the GTI drivers - they complain about the cost of a pint in the Ram and yet put their student loans in an ISA! Mardonites.

Check your private message list.

Yakkers

pilotpj
4th Mar 2003, 14:56
Thanks for the responses. It is interesting to have our thoughts confirmed. Just so you know, our club was started in January 2002 and then there were only 2 pilots checked out. This academic year there are 5 with another in the advanced stages of training. We use a local flying club close to Loughborough where we are studying with a PA-28 for £85/hr solo. It is amazing how far money can stretch when you want to fly as much as some of us do (and yes, cost sharing is a good way of bringing down the price)!

If this inspires more universities to set up PPL flying clubs maybe there could be an annual competition day - spot landings etc - to promote PPL flying to universities and attract the interest of industry who may be willing to sponsor prizes/subsidise some of the clubs? Perseverence is the key - from what I understand it took a lot of persuasion for our Students' Union to accept the proposals to get the club off the ground (no pun intended) and it is a remarkable achievement. The oportunities are now endless (almost) and it is quite rewarding being able to fly with other PPL's where different experiences and techniques can be shared.

Thanks for your message Sink Rate - I've sent you an e-mail.

Good luck to anyone who tries to set a club up.

PJ

jrs2-benson
5th Mar 2003, 00:50
I am also from Devon, but uni'ed at Bristol UWE. I am also the VP of the club up there and can definitley say that its alive and kicking....! If you are a member of the NUS here's the deal:

For £30 you can join(Full year), get a Lawn/Rules book, Log book and 3 flights. If you then want to continue its a fiver a launch. Last weekend it was booming with soaring flights exceeding 4 hours and heights up to 7000ft! And aerotows have just become available as well.

In terms of PPLing, Dunkeswell Devon School of Flying is grreat. Its £11 per hour more than the cheapest 161 I have come across but all the aircraft are immaculate with one Warrior III (Brand New).

Drop me a e-mail for info about Uni gliding/PPLing..

JRSB

[email protected]

Jetdriver
5th Mar 2003, 01:09
pilotpj

I felt this thread was more appropriate to the Private flying forum in respect of the first question, however the second question caused me to hesitate moving the thread. As the replies are largely dealing with the first point I am going to move the thread to that forum.

If you want to ask the second question again in the "questions" forum you are very welcome to do so.

Circuit Basher
5th Mar 2003, 06:55
Pilotpj - having only just seen this thread - well done! I graduated from Lufbra in 1979 and would have certainly joined a flying club if there had been one! I made do with the gliding club just to stay current, but was also a member of ATC so got a fair chance of slinging a Chippy round the sky every now and again! I think all the responses to date have pretty much said it all.

The only other suggestion would be whether you could get a loan from the SU to pre-purchase a block of hours to get a further reduction on hourly rates that would then be paid for by the P1 as they flew.

FlyFreeWbe
5th Mar 2003, 16:05
I'm about to send of my AS6F to make L'borough my first choice. It's great to know I can fly regularly at uni and keep building up my hours!

Can I have any extra information about this? Like how much, which airport you use etc... I'd really like to check it out once I get to L'borough next year. If you can spare the time email --> [email protected]
Thanks in advance, Nj

jason007
5th Mar 2003, 18:12
Well I kick started a uni flying club when I was a student…………no one turned up so I kept the S.U’s money and paid for my own PPL with it……Well it was that or give it back!!!!!!!

easyflyer
6th Mar 2003, 07:52
Oxford Uni doesn't have a flying club, although does have a very active gliding club (& the ubiquitous UAS).