PDA

View Full Version : Airport furthest from city it's named after

WHBM
2nd Mar 2003, 19:31
A lot of stick (and rightly so) in other posts about airports naming themselves after cities that are miles away (and always served by a closer "real" airport, it seems). "Frankfurt" Hahn probably the best known one but "London" Manston in a post above is worse (Autoroute tells me it's 81 miles and 2 hours 16 mins from London).

So what's the world's worst for this deceit?

U/S President
2nd Mar 2003, 19:54
I think Frankurt Hahn and Oslo Torp are both 116 km from their respective cities.

I'm not sure that MSE counts as I don't think IATA recognises it as a LON airport. I might be wrong.

Little Blue
2nd Mar 2003, 22:08
Can't say I'm sure,
but you can bet yer bottom dollar that Ryanair operate into it !
;)

Dixie Normus
3rd Mar 2003, 00:30
Yep, Hahn is approx 120km from Frankfurt.
Other Ryanair beauties include Barcelona (Girona) - 90km, Verona (Brescia) and Brussels (Charleroi) - 70km.
If i'm not mistaken on another thread somebody also suggested that Ryanair also advertise Malmo as a gateway to Copenhagen.....Be nice to get the country right!!!!

Cheers
Dixie :D

Ivan Taclue
3rd Mar 2003, 07:05
Didn't KLMuk use London-Amsterdam? :D

Unwell_Raptor
3rd Mar 2003, 07:08
Haye Ryanair considered Dublin Knock?

Oscar Duece
3rd Mar 2003, 10:10
I thought some ego centric clown at Lydd decided to call their little part of the Kent Coast 'London Ashford'.

:= := :=

misterblue
3rd Mar 2003, 12:56
Surprised Ryanair haven't tried operating their Stansted-Glasgow route from, say, London (Sheffield) to Glasgow (Sheffield).

Would seem to save a lot on A/C, crews, fuel etc.:rolleyes:

Thunderball
3rd Mar 2003, 19:07
misterblue,

That suggestion was inspired! My nomination for the pprune "Hall of Fame". I hope that Michael O'Leary takes note.

Also offers the unique benefit that, if your flight is cancelled, you might as well go on to your destination as go back home.
:D :D :D

subload
3rd Mar 2003, 23:04
Has to be said that Glasgow Prestwick gets on my t!ts.

Nuff said!!!

BlueEagle
4th Mar 2003, 03:31
Tokyo - Narita, it is very near to Narita but about a two hour drive from Tokyo!

The new Athens airport must also qualify as not being very close to Athens.

Taipei is a good hour by road from the town centre.

generallee
4th Mar 2003, 08:42
Surely PIK (out of all airports mentioned in this post) has the most defined 'right' to use the name of the nearest major city? As far back as the flowery times, would you not see Glasgow Prestwick and Glasgow Abbotsinch on the screen to denote PIK and GLA?

As far as others in Europe, it is simply a marketing tool that is sensibly used to promote the services that operate into the airport..... and it works.

thedude
4th Mar 2003, 09:22
It astound's me that this issue draw's no responce from trading standard's. I mean, if Kellogs said 'eat our cornflakes and prevent your next heart attack' the trading standards would be all over them, quicker than a streaker in siberia. By eating cornflakes your not going to give yourself a heart attack so why the fuss.

Now, sell someone a ticket to somwhere, then take them somewhere else, and no-one says a dicky bird! Amazing. Would National coaches get away with selling you a ticket to Bournemouth only to drop you off in Brighton.

Now I realise that airports are usually out of town but surely you can only advertise the nearest one under that name.

Still I suppose the general public are pretty gullable. If it makes you money your going to do it until someone objects.

In the same vain, when dealing with unhappy passengers, the policy of " sorry, but you get what you pay for, and you haven't paid enough to be treated any better", has worked astoundingly well with the low cost guy's. In a world of the service orientated, it certainly was a bold move but has paid off handsomely. :cool:

Thunderball
4th Mar 2003, 09:31
Not long after the start of easyJet they were indeed the subject of a successful reference to Trading Standards about their failure to mention that "London" actually referred to "Luton". So the precedent is clearly there - and it only takes one complaint to get the process working.

Big Tudor
4th Mar 2003, 09:52
During the process to find London's fourth airport, the old airfield at Thurleigh near Bedford was considered as a possibility. Distance from London = 105km.

LTN, LGW and STN are all over 50km from Central London, and try doing that journey in less than 2 hours on a bad day!
What distance is considered acceptable for an airport to be considered as belonging to a town/city?

subload PIK is shown as 54km from GLA city centre which is nearer than LTN, LGW or STN are to LON.

brabazon
4th Mar 2003, 09:54
Before blaming Ryanair too much for allowing them to link remote airports to major cities - it's worth noting that from a scheduling standpoint it is IATA which controls the airport-city link so it is only on their approval that Hahn was linked to Frankfurt. Perhaps someone from LH could verify this - but my understanding is that LH Cargo wanted to develo Hahn as a cargo centre - lorries connecting to aircraft etc - and wanted Hahn designated as an FRA airport for selling purposes. On this basis I understand LH went to IATA and with the agreement of FraPort who own FRA Main it was agreed.

I guess it's not the case with all Ryanair secondary airports, but in some cases they were not be the initiators of the designation.

reido
4th Mar 2003, 18:37
I wanted to go for a booze-up in the metropolis of Newquay- imagine my resentment when I found myself miles away in the lesser known city of St Mawgan!!! BAAAHH !!!!:mad: