PDA

View Full Version : where to hour build?

stolport
20th Oct 2001, 21:06
In between studying for ATPL module 1 at BGS, I had planned on doing 50 hours at Florida in February.

With the current situation, I was thinking about where else I could go to get some hours (i currently have about 70 hours solo)in February.

-are there any good deals in Australia or Spain and if so do I need a Visa and how do I convert my CAA PPL?
-or should I wait until I've finished the groundschool?

Thanks in advance :cool:

Luke SkyToddler
20th Oct 2001, 21:40
Yep, the way exchange rates have gone in the last couple of years, you'll find Australia / New Zealand and South Africa to be cheaper than many places in Florida now.

Too many good schools to list, but I would imagine in the current world economic climate there'll be schools jumping down your throat to offer you discount deals on hour building.

I can't really advise on Oz or South Africa but I can tell you that in New Zealand it's normally just a local law exam and a check ride with an examiner to be issued with your kiwi PPL. I'm going to be down there over that period myself so feel free to email me if I can be of any specific assistance to you ...

Rusty Cessna
20th Oct 2001, 22:14
Luke,

Do you think that the costs of flights to NZ would neutralise any saving you could make on the flying? And what are we talking per wet hour over there?

Thanks, sorry to muscle in on your post!

Rusty.

24th Oct 2001, 13:19
Converting to an Australian licence isn't too hard - I have a friend from Canada that did it - cpl theory test and cpl flight test I think... long way to come to do 50 hrs though. If you are looking for work you might get a shock though...