PDA

View Full Version : Bizarre checkride

Flying Farmer
1st Mar 2003, 12:27
Had a check to do in the circuit last week, guy flys a 737 for a living and had not flown a SEP for a while.
No probs as you can imagine, just a little strange that me with only 100 hrs instructing is checking out a many thousand hour pilot.
Any one else had similar experiences care to comment.

FF

Tinstaafl
1st Mar 2003, 15:49
As a very juniour instructor a new CFI started at the aero club.

I - with only ~500 hrs - had to show him - with ~26,000 hrs logged (forget the unlogged hrs. He did!) - into a strip we used a lot. In his own C182 that he'd owned for years.

God I was nervous!

Aussie Andy
1st Mar 2003, 16:39
I was recently at an aibase in Australia, at the flying club getting my Australian "special" license for the holidays, and was amazed that while I was there a 1000+ hr FA-18 pilot (its a major F-18 base) was in seeing the same instructor as me (the CFI) discussing getting his civilian PPL(A) --- apparently flying SEP really is very different to what he does, and to get the civilain license (just to take g/friend and mates for jollies in the club's Cherokee) he apparently needs quite a few hours training. One issue apparently is navigation when much lower, slower and without TACAN!

Amazed me...

ComJam
3rd Mar 2003, 15:16
I remember having to ask a multi-thousand hour 747 Captain not to reduce to climb power after t/o in the Warrior! Doesn't go up very well as it is! :)

Splat
3rd Mar 2003, 15:20
Hear a story about a 747 captain being checked out in a warrior, and upon landing tried to lift the throttle to select reverse, except that it came off in his hand! Probably not the first person to do it.

S

witchdoctor
3rd Mar 2003, 16:14
Phew! Suddenly I don't feel like such an incompetent for my inept flying on my check ride. Spend £50K on a fATPL, take a 4 week break and then fly as though you'd never had a lesson - doh!

Doghouse
4th Mar 2003, 22:15
First IMC student looked a harmless old boy - till I found out he flew meteors, had seen action (claims he "gave them more headaches than they gave him"!) said he had over 600 IMC hours (and that was excluding simulated IMC). Totally unassuming guy whose limited panel work was more acurate than my full panel - his first attempts ended up better than my demos!

EightsOnPylons
15th Mar 2003, 07:17
I checked a gentleman out in a C172. This was a captain on a 737 and he had over 26000 hours. He did excellent on the slowflight, stalls and steepturns but can you imagine what his traffic pattern was like? We were so far out the controller basically asked us what are intentions were. Great flight!

goaround7
8th Apr 2003, 03:44
Currently training two ex-mil guys with over 4,000 hours each on Allouette III and Super Puma who want civvy instructor's ratings.

For some reason, one keeps closing the throttle whenever we need less power - he's not sure why either as that's not how you fly a turbine in any case.

Still, they're also letting me 'instruct' them (with my 12 hours of turbine time) while they do their patter on me in a J-R: '...and in the event of a real emergency, who has control ?'

eagerbeaver
8th Apr 2003, 18:44
had allsorts - instructed many americans from mildenhall and lakenheath. One guy came in for a lesson, just pitched up with his girlfriend we went out and he was unbelievably good, i only twigged when he used the radio and addressed as speedbird xxx
Flew with a real old boy to france he must be at least 75 ish + everything was fine he was peering out the window on the way to le touquet and then he said to me

"its been a long time since i have been to france"

me "oh really"

"yes it was a long long time ago, you know i have never been to france in the daytime..."

i thought this was odd and he left it at that

turns out he was a navigator on lancasters and the last time he was in france was when he dropped a load of bombs - he flew 30 odd missions without a scratch! lovely guy, bit mad though!!!!

The only other one was on my FIC and my instructor was and ex ETP and even the C/O - it was quite difficult to teach even in the false training evironment.

and lastly a guy turned up who used to be an instructor where i worked who had his licensed revoked on medical grounds and now has a NPPL he was a an ex military guy etc etc you dont half feel daft flying with theses blokes - turns out he taught me instead which was brilliant

still enuf of me, anymore?