PDA

View Full Version : Brize Radar 28 Feb - Brilliant!

mysteryshopper
28th Feb 2003, 18:59
Just a quick note to say thanks so much for the help this afternoon that I received from RAF Brize Norton LARS and Zone.

After a long flight (for a recently gained PPL holder) the weather closed right in just before I reached EGBP and they helped me to land at Brize with no drama and looked after my passenger and I with great efficiency and calmness.

I hope that someone from Brize will read this post and be able to pass on the message to all concerned.

Hopefully won't be needing the service again - sorry to be such a pain!

Cheers,

Charles Auty

Red Four
28th Feb 2003, 22:06
That would be the weather closing in that wasn't forecast all day?
:rolleyes:
Still, I'm sure the team at Brize appreciate the thanks.

Chilli Monster
28th Feb 2003, 23:02
That'll be the weather that was definitely not VFR when I left home for work this morning - only 6 miles from Kemble :rolleyes:

I think you ought to invest in an IMC course or seriously review the way you plan. Us ATCO's don't mind digging you out of a hole but we'd rather you didn't get there in the first place - it's a lot safer for you and your passenger.

mysteryshopper
1st Mar 2003, 07:53
Thanks, the IMC course is already started, but unfinished at the moment - can't wait to get it done. I am really enjoying the course.

I really have learnt an important lesson, and have told all my colleagues in similar positions so that they won't get into the same situation. I hope that others will be able to gain from my mistakes. I certainly have.

I'm also going to sit down with an instructor at my local club and go through my met briefing system as it obviously has holes in it.

Thanks for your input,

Charles

CaptAirProx
4th Mar 2003, 12:53
Charles,

Congratulations for being honest and putting your hand up whilst thanking those helpful fellows in ATC.

Remember regardless of how much experience you have, every flight is a learning experience and some more than others. You foolishly got yourself into a situation, dealt with it, survived and are happy to share your experiences.................a trade mark of a good pilot in the making.

We all are never perfect, some just like to think so more than others.

You probably will never allow yourself to get into that situation again, but don't be surprised of hearing others doing exactly the same as you for ever there are aircraft in the sky.

Just make sure the mistakes you make are calculated ones and that you sit down and learn from them everytime.

I look forward to observing your IMC test very soon. I'm sure it will be a joy.

If we didn't test our abilities once in a while we would never learn!