PDA

View Full Version : Question: Landing under EGCC TMA

smithgd
27th Feb 2003, 16:41
I have been trying to find out info about landing under Manchester TMA but I am struggling. I guess it is also applicable to any other airport under Class A airspace.

I would like to land at Manchester (or Woodford) on a PPL with IMC.

I understand the procedures for VFR approaches; use the Woodford corridor, talking to Manchester or Woodford.

However what do I do if the weather is cr*p (a common occurance in Manchester :D ) looking at the approach plates they seem to involve flying in excess of 3500ft, this takes me into the Class A TMA. Can I fly SVFR? And how is this portrayed on the flight plan??

Thanks in advance.

smithgd

cossack
27th Feb 2003, 17:36
The Manchester Control Zone is, like the majority of UK airports, in Class D airspace, so yes, if the weather is below VFR limits you can fly in accordance with a Special VFR clearance, subject to the relevant minima. The Class A TMA above is, to all intents and purposes, irrelevant to the majority of VFR arrivals
I don't think there is any Flight Planning requirement to show that you are able to accept such a clearance. A "Book Out" can return Special VFR if they are able.
If you get here and the vis. is less than 10km or the ceiling is below 1500 feet then we can give you a Special VFR clearance if you request it. Special VFR entry to land at Manchester is not permitted if the vis. is less than 2800m.
Hope that helps.

smithgd
2nd Mar 2003, 16:39
Thanks but I am still confussed!

If it is IMC then since the Control Zone is Class D I can fly IFR with my IMC rating, no problem.... However some of the approach plates for Manchester and Woodford indicate I would have to start/hold above 3500ft. Since this would take me into the TMA which is class A am I able to fly the approach??

As far as I understand it my only problem would be if you guys told me to hold at Dayne (for example)!

OK try this for size.......I am approaching from TNT at 3200ft IFR for an ILS into Manc or Wfd, the approach plates look OK except that Manc requires a hold at Dayne above 3500ft if a missed approach is needed and Wfd procedures start at 3500ft. Would a radar vectored ILS keep me under 3500ft?

I guess if the Vis is greater than 3km there is no problem coz I can ask for SVFR, I am just concerned that there will be IMC weather..it is Manchester after all :-)

Thanks

hatsoff
2nd Mar 2003, 18:32
If it is IMC then since the Control Zone is Class D I can fly IFR with my IMC rating, no problem

It's a long time since I held an IMC Rating and I stand to be corrected but...

An IMC Rating does not permit IFR flight within Controlled Airspace.

You may accept a SVFR clearance within a Control Zone when the visability is below 5 nms subject to local conditions like those mentioned by Cossack.

PLease check with your instructor.

Chilli Monster
2nd Mar 2003, 18:35
hatsoff

Consider yourself corrected.

An IMC rating DOES permit IFR flight inside Class 'D' Airspace.

(ANO Sched 8 Part B - IMC ratings para (b))

spekesoftly
2nd Mar 2003, 22:46
smithgd,

SVFR flights are not permitted within TMAs, does that help answer your question?

smithgd
3rd Mar 2003, 08:08
spekesoftly

Thanks, I think that solves my problem...if a procedure involves going into the TMA then I can't fly it! However.....

1) if the procedure is below TMA but the missed approach procedure involves going into TMA to hold, what could I do?

2) can I impose altitude restrictions on ATC manouvers in the same way a non IMC rated PPL can refuse entry into cloud during an ATC manouver?