PDA

View Full Version : Re-validating a lapsed AFI rating?

HighandTight
27th Feb 2003, 11:37
Can anyone advise me what the current requirements are to renew a lapsed AFI ticket?

I haven't instructed for slightly over two years but have been flying in other capacities.

Is it still a re-test or is there a course available?

Also have there been any recent changes to what is required to up the AFI to a QFI rating?

I've been a little out of touch!

Thanks Folks!

DB6
27th Feb 2003, 20:42
Proficiency check (flight test) plus attend a FI refresher seminar. The examiner will sign you off but if you let it go more than 5 years then it's a call to Gatwick. If you don't know about seminars do a search on this forum; there have been a few posts on the subject.

BEagle
28th Feb 2003, 05:24
1. There is no such thing as an 'AFI' any more.

2. Only the military has 'QFI's .

3. Have a search on www.srg.caa.co.uk for the renewal requirements - your last revalidation should have an expiry date and that will dictate your renewal requirements.

4. If you have a 'No applied instrument' restriction on your Rating, expect to have to do a course and test to remove it.

5. You'll probably be expected to have a good working knowledge of the relevant JARs covering your licence, ratings and those for which you'll be instructing. I'd recommend that you buy a copy of LASORS - it's only £10 - and it'll answer all your questions!

HighandTight
2nd Mar 2003, 13:26
Thanks. My certificate of revalidation actually expires on the 19th of April this year although I haven't instructed since the beginning of 2001.

What I was wondering is, as it has not passed this date, do I need the seminar or just the flight test?

Oh, I know we've dropped AFI/QFI and technically I'm an FI(R), but lets face it, most of us probably still use the old terminology. :-)

DB6
2nd Mar 2003, 14:31
You need two of the following:
a) 100 hours of instruction during the validity period of your rating, of which 30 must be in the 12 months before expiry.
b) seminar
c) flight test
So I guess of you haven't instructed since 2001 you're stuck with b) and c) :eek:
To remove the restriction from your rating i.e. to become a FI not FI(R) you need 100 hours of instruction and to supervise at least 25 student solo flights, plus the recommendation of your supervising FI.
As BEagle says, get a copy of LASORS from the CAA. I am amazed that they are not charging £50 a copy as it seems far too good to be true (if anyone from the CAA is reading that is NOT a suggestion ;) )

HighandTight
2nd Mar 2003, 17:20
Thanks DB6, I've got a little while to get back up to speed. As I've not flown for a while the flight test will probably be useful!

In the meantime I'll get hold of a copy of the LASORS while the price is low:-)

Fortunately I've over 100 hours instruction but didn't reach the 25 hrs solo flights due to a downturn in business at my old flying school. Hopefully I'll soon be able to lift the restriction.