PDA

View Full Version : Some RAF questions

Axl
20th Oct 2001, 03:03
Hi, im new to this board, I came here via the Dutch Pilot Forum. Im not sure if my question is appropriate in this forum but I figured i'm a wannabe so what the hell :)

Here's the deal, I'm soon going to apply for the Dutch Airforce (I'm Dutch by the way), now I'm kinda worried about my eyesight. I tested my eyes and I had -1.0 and -1.25 for my left and right eye. (I also had +1.25 for both, but i heard that wasnt that relevant). Now I took that eye test at a local opticien so I'm not that sure about the reliability of the test.
Anyway, these numbers are not good for Dutch F-16 pilot. Perhaps as a transportpilot I still might have a chance.
Im gonna try the selection anyway, no shot is always a miss (straight translation of a dutch saying :D ) However if I DO fail, I wanna give it a shot at the RAF. I heard the eye limitations are less severe in the UK, and they prefer a high motivation rather then pure physical perfection (offcourse you shouldn't be wrecked either).

I'm determined to fly in the military and I don't mind changing nationality (afterall, we are all european ;) ).
So the question is, is it actually possible to do this? Does the RAF have less strict medical demands (mostly eyes), or is it bull what I was told?

Offcourse it will still be though, but no road to glory is easy.

Looking forward to hearing from you all!

Axl

PS I'm 19yrs old and currently following college at the University of Amsterdam

Lucifer
20th Oct 2001, 14:27
Sorry to disappoint you mate, but the eyesight restrictions for the RAF in the UK are very severe, unlike the commercial world, with applicants having to pass the eyesight test even if you are only interested in the Herc/VC10 role. Incidentaly you cannot apply for a specific aircraft type/grouping either here.
Best of luck

Axl
20th Oct 2001, 15:29
bah....

EGDR
20th Oct 2001, 16:16
If I remember correctly I think you have to have been living in this country for either 3 or 5 yrs , something like that.

I think you'll find at 19 it's impossible to get a british passport and make the age limit, that's just a hunch I could be wrong.

Tonkenna
20th Oct 2001, 20:16
The fact that we are all european does not hold with the military in any country as they are not covered by the same laws of employment as civilian companies are. I also doubt that the RAF eyesight limits are anyless tough than those in Holland. Changing nationality takes a fair while and I think you would then be too old even if the eyesight wasn't a problem, sorry.

Tonks

Joe Bolt
20th Oct 2001, 20:30
As far as I remember, when I joined the RAF (which was quite a long time ago now), not only did I need to be British, but both of my parents needed to be British as well. Of course that might not be the case nowadays.
The RAF has a careers information website, which might answer your question.

And as for us 'all being European'....... well, you speak for yourself mate!

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: Joe Bolt ]

Axl
21st Oct 2001, 05:33
hey again,

well thanks for the (depressing) info. About me saying we are all european, it wasnt really ment seriously, more as an expression.
Anyway thanks for the help guys :)

cya