PDA

View Full Version : A levels

19th Oct 2001, 18:59
Does maths and physics A level give any advantage over others. I am not the best in the world at maths and am likely to get a B. Would it be better to get A* in subjects I am good at rather than a poor grade in maths?
I would probably do English lang, history, business studies and maybe gov.& politics.
My mental arithmatic is good by the way

RVR800
19th Oct 2001, 19:16
Do the subjects you are good at...

It is not that significant...

The RAF and BA do not specify A levels by subject

Incidentally do study subjects that complement one another e.g.

English History Economics - A
or
Physics Chemistry Biology Mathematics - A
not
Needlework and Physics

and if you do a degree get one that gives you a fallback in case you are deemed medically unfit or the job market is
cr@p

e.g. Optics, Town Planning etc

not

B.A.(Hons) Silly Studies

Hope that helps...

English History Economics A Level

19th Oct 2001, 19:40
Thanks RVR800

Matthewjharvey
19th Oct 2001, 20:42
If you are serious about being a pilot then it will be a huge advantage to do maths and physics A-levels. They will make the theoretical part of the training seem much easier. Do not worry if you do not get A grades, in the long run it will be most beneficial.
Good Luck

Al Titude
19th Oct 2001, 21:15
My advice would be to do the subjects that you are best in. A CV with better grades will be more impresive - despite the subject choice.

Don't believe everything the old school say about Maths and Physics - I only did these at GCSE and the basic knowledge gained has been more than adequate through all my pilot training. The only maths you need is a reasonable level of mental arithmetic.

Groundschool teaches you what you need to know to fly safely, and hardly any of this will be covered in either of the A-levels you mention! Several of my friends did an Aeronautical Eng degree but even this was of little relevance for the job training; and they wish they'd done something a little less taxing in hindsight!

In my opinion it is far better to excel in the subjects that you enjoy and are good at, than struggle at A-levels (and Degree for that matter) in options that you perceive to be useful. Employers are looking for a broad spectrum of interests and education, giving a well rounded individual. Trust me, you don't have to have Maths and Physics A-level to be pilot!
For the record I did English, Geography and Biology at A level, and Philosophy at Degree!

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
:cool: :cool: :cool:

20th Oct 2001, 12:58
Thanks for all the advice

tomcs
20th Oct 2001, 13:38
I'm curently doing Maths and Physics A level along with Government and Politics. Last year I did an AS level in French. I am doing my PPL and I find it much easier when I know that I understand things :) Anyway I have decided that as the Aviation world isn't so good at the moment I'm going to go to Uni and study Avionic Engineering, so I'm glad that I did choose Maths and Physics.

Tom :cool: :D

Rusty Cessna
20th Oct 2001, 14:13
I did the subjects I was good at, English, Physics and history, shame they don't complement each other! Its going to be easier to justify why you did the subjects you were good at and got As then why you did the subjects you were not good at and got Es!

Good luck and enjoy.

Rusty

kingfisher03
20th Oct 2001, 16:05
Don't do A-level maths unless you really enjoy it, and almost a natural at it. Everyone I know who took A-maths because thats what pilot guides recommended, got totally fed up and either did really poorly or dropped the subject after the first year. Its a big jump up from GCSE maths higher papers.

Provided you work hard on your GCSE maths course, you will have all the basic knowledge you need for ATPL's. The big problem with the ATPL's is the volume of work in the time available. You can never be fully prepared for it!

Before deciding on A-level subjects, think what degree courses you might be interested in should the flying not 'take off' for whatever reason. research fully into this because it may influence your A-level subject selection.

Also, sixth form culture seems to get students better grades than the regional colleges.

[ 20 October 2001: Message edited by: kingfisher03 ]

Lucifer
22nd Oct 2001, 15:53
onedayiwillbeapilot: you answer your own question!