PDA

View Full Version : applying to british airways

helsvee
19th Oct 2001, 18:28
hello everyone!

can someone in the know please message me about the ba interviews. what qualities do they look for? and what level of fitness is required?

thanx a lot,
helsvee xxx

RVR800
19th Oct 2001, 18:34
Observer, Sunday

.. a spokesman for Balpa, said pilots are being laid off from the large airlines, including BA and Virgin, were the younger, inexperienced crew on a 'last in first out' basis. He said many still had not paid back the £50,000 in debts from their training fees. 'The pilots at the very top of the pile do earn around £100,000 but these people are earning more like £28,000 to £35,000,'

Lucifer
20th Oct 2001, 14:30
Helsvee, you can find that info from a search for previous threads. Reasonably active person; looking for somebody that would be good company sitting next to for a long day's work.

Pielander
20th Oct 2001, 15:37
Helsvee

I don't think they're looking for any qualities at the moment. :rolleyes:

Applicants need not apply

High Volt
22nd Oct 2001, 02:56
BA is not the panacea for which you seek. There are others (especially at the moment) where your desire to fly for a living has more resonance.

wtpurser
22nd Oct 2001, 12:52
In reference to RVR800 's post. I think you will find that many of the pilots who will leave BA over the coming months will be off the 747-400 fleet. Many of these captains are coming up to retirment and indeed they are leaving every month. Rather than to keep a captain on at £100,000 a year would it not be better o get rid of him with a 'golden hand-shake' deal and keep the the new boys on who compared to the older staff are peanuts to keep on.

I would put money on it that very very few BA captains on the -400 fleet came through the sponsership. BA has invested alot of money and time into new recruits so why get rid of your investment ? Plus they still would be due the company money from training, sack them and there goes your cash.

In light of the current climate this would seem to be a better money saving suggestion than that proposed by terminating junior pilots contracts.
Just a wee thought... :rolleyes:

Lucifer
22nd Oct 2001, 15:09
wtpurser: the severance for many of those over 50 and crystallisation would cost too much in reality, however some would be willing to retire slightly early if a decent package came out. Unfortunately the -400 fleet has many ex-Hamble SPONSORED cadets who have flown for up to 35 years, which is the reason why 6-figure salaries can be made due to being on the top pay-point and having the seniority to bid for the routes with the most lucrative expenses.

It would admittedly be a lot more beneficial for the guys at the bottom of the ladder to keep them and lose the top guys and gals, but seniority does not work like that. The part-time work and unpaid leave options are designed to help keep those at the bottom while reducing the 'head count' and not actually firing anyone, but just waiting for the Hamble bulge people to retire: cheaper in the long run than any severance.

wtpurser
22nd Oct 2001, 15:50
i was only trying to point out that there are alot of Captains retiring at the moment and have been so for many months, judging by the rate they are acknowledged in the BA news every week.

But Lucy you catch my general drift anyway, so its OK :eek:

I take it you read BA news then ?
:confused:

[ 22 October 2001: Message edited by: wtpurser ]

RVR800
23rd Oct 2001, 13:17
It aint over yet...

Almost one million people in the UK have scrapped their travel plans following the terror attacks in America, a survey has said.

According to a survey by the English Tourism Council, one in 10 Britons said the events had affected their holiday plans.

Fifteen percent of those, or 700,000 people, had cancelled their holidays and another 25% - more than one million people - had postponed their trip abroad.

A further 2 million people said that they would not be making firm plans until the international situation became clearer.

and ........ 120 just gone at BMI

Oh dear...

Lucifer
23rd Oct 2001, 13:58
Sure do