PDA

View Full Version : min requirements for FO job ?

russellferrier
17th Oct 2001, 02:31
Would anyone be so kind as to tell me what are the basic or minimum requirements that most commercial airlines seek (pls specify UK or US) for a FO at entry level.

Also, can someone answer me what is a FROZEN/ATPL that so many people comment on in these forums ?

Thanks.

scroggs
17th Oct 2001, 23:28
Oz,
minimum requirements are a movable feast depending on the airline and the state of the market. In UK (and, I'd guess, the US), because there are a large number of experienced pilots on, or about to be on, the market, minimum requirements are rising. A year ago, 200 hours and a frozen ATPL would have possibly got you a job on a 737. Now, the same airlines are looking for 1500 hours. This will reduce as those experienced pilots are absorbed.
A 'frozen ATPL' refers to a situation where a person has passed all the ground and air exams for an ATPL but has yet to achieve the qualifying flying hours. Thus he/she is awarded an ATPL frozen (ie you are unable to exercise the privileges attached) until those hours are achieved. I believe this situation only exists within the JAA sphere of influence.

Orangewing
18th Oct 2001, 00:17
Oz, to confirm what Scroggs said, I joined easyJet with 265hrs tt two years ago, and the requirements now are 4000hrs tt with 1000hrs airline experience, for F/O. Basically, market forces dictate the rules.
Regards, :D