PDA

View Full Version : Farnborough Radar, Sunday 23rd Feb - thanks!

FlyingForFun
24th Feb 2003, 09:53
I don't know if the gentleman who was working Farnborough yesterday early-afternoon reads this forum, but if not, perhaps someone would be kind enough to pass this message on to him?

It was a fantastic flying day, and, as a result, extremely busy. Several IFR aircraft wanted radar service, while most of us were flying around VFR, all at the same altitude just below the clouds and asking for FIS. The radio was sufficiently busy that I had trouble getting my initial call in. The controller would, I feel, have been quite justified in offering us a "limited" service due to the workload.

But instead, he gave us one of the most thorough flight information services that I've ever received. Pretty much continuous traffic information. Where there was traffic which wasn't in contact with him, he would ask us to confirm the height of the traffic if we spotted it so he could pass the information on to others. Combine all this with lots of spurious radar returns from the clouds (and again, if we confirmed that a return was an aircraft and not a cloud, he'd pass the information onto others), and I am amazed that he managed to provide us with this information in such a calm, professional manner. Then, as I was about to change frequency to the A/G service at my destination field, he reported 6 aircraft in the few miles I had left to run :eek: and helped me spot most of them before changing frequency. Thanks, and well done!

I heard several people thanking him for the "excellent service" on the frequency. Personally, I felt the frequency was busy to do that, but didn't want my appreciation to go un-noticed.

FFF
-------------

PA7
25th Feb 2003, 10:05
It is good to know that the service is appreciated, Sunday was a busy LARS day and I shall pass on your coments to all concerned.

AlanM
25th Feb 2003, 12:40
..........nice to hear thanks!

PA7 - he says early afternoon.......bet ya a fiver it was before 1400hrs!!!

See ya!:D :O

FlyingForFun
25th Feb 2003, 12:52
Absolutely right, Alan - was about 1300-1330, in fact!

FFF
-----------

Fly Stimulator
25th Feb 2003, 15:31
I wasn't flying on Sunday, but I'm happy to contribute to the praise of the Farnborough contollers.

I always get an excellent service from them as I potter to and from Redhill, and they're always a pleasure to speak to, even on those days when it's a struggle to get a word in.

SilentHandover
25th Feb 2003, 16:09
I dunno why Alan but the initials GP spring to mind from that description. What do you reckon?:D

The old place needs a few more like him.

PA7
25th Feb 2003, 16:45
AM

You bet it was before 1400, you don't think that we would give that kinda service do you matey, three cheers to the Welsh Wizard. Anyway I was reading my paper on approach.:rolleyes:

AlanM
25th Feb 2003, 17:01
PA7

Reading your paper on approach?? Sounds like the Phantom Shower W#@#@r taught you everything he knows well!!

Seriously, well done people.

I hope that Ms Whiplash gets a copy of this!!! (If she does, how's my 20 squid looking?)

PA7
25th Feb 2003, 18:51
AM

PSW, I'd forgotten about that one, anyway it was his paper, how goes it on the river? :)

AlanM
25th Feb 2003, 19:54
PA7 - he's not STILL reading the Torygraph is he?? Bloody live-on-the-Thames types!!

You have a PM BTW