PDA

View Full Version : flight training yes or no?! SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!

vizor
16th Oct 2001, 20:50
Hi there!

My name is Kolja and I am from Germany. In Sept I went to BA for the first entrance exam. After Sept 11 we all know what happaned..
I am wondering like many others here what to do next. I have been studying hotelmanagement in the Netherlands; I would have another 3 years before getting my diploma, but with applying for airlines like Lufthansa & BA,I already had planned not to go on with management. I grew up in the Soouth Pacific and got the chance everyday to fly with friends who worked for a missionary airline and I really want to become a pilot myself.
Now I am 27 years old and I just got a job to save all the money up within a year & half for an ATPL,which means I would be done with training in 2 1/2 - 3 years. This plan I am not to sure of with the current situation. Through connections I am able to get the ATPL for about $ 30-35000.
I would be really glad for any suggestions
making it maybe easier on deciding if I will go on with my plans.
Please contact me - [email protected]

Kind Regards,

Kolja

Autofly
16th Oct 2001, 21:22
Kolja,

As you will know by reading this forum that times are far from good but no-one really knows what it going to happen. I was planning to do my ATPL exams in about 6 months but i'm going to forget that for a bit until the situation turns for the better. You seam to be planning long term which I think is the way forward - in 1 and a half years time who knows what state the industry will be in but whatever, you'll have the cash to do your course regardless. Thats the time to decide. Thats my plan anyway.

Keep reading this forum is the best thing you can do. Good luck.

Auto

Capt Rommel
16th Oct 2001, 21:27
Kolja,

I suggest you have a look around the wannabes forum. Plenty of other people are in the same position as you and many posts deal with the 'yes or no' issue at the moment, as it is of concern to a lot of wannabes.

You'll find some people saying that the situation is hopeless for quite some time to come and others that say the industry will recover soon and there will be more jobs.

The truth is, nobody knows. All the figures being discussed are speculations and nothing more; everything depends on when passengers want to fly again, and that's impossible to predict.

Therefore the only advice one can really give is this: if you *really* want to go for it AND have the money, go ahead. As you know, there's nothing like flying.... :) If you're prepared to put up not only with the strenuous training but also the prospect of waiting for quite some time to get a job - absolutely do it.

It seems you have some contacts in aviation. Use them, and bear in mind that training is only the start.

Viel Glück!

Mail me if you want.

RGW
16th Oct 2001, 22:09
Kolja,

If you go for it now you should have all the necessary qualifications (if not experience) by the time the market picks up again and jobs once again become more plentiful, which they always do eventually.

I began my training in 1990 just before the Gulf War began and the World recession hit. However, by the time I had my frozen ATPL and a selection of performance qualifications for various aircraft types, the market began to improve. I was employed by 1992 and now enjoy being a captain on a state-of-the-art regional jet with a reputable company!

If you don't follow your dream you may forever regret it. :cool:

xbxex
17th Oct 2001, 07:27
dear Kolja,
I was once faced with the same dilemma. I chose to learn to fly at age 26 and now I'm really enjoying my job in a regional airline and making good money. The fact that it takes years to train is GOOD. The industry can only see better times in the next few years, if you go back to read wannabe pprune threads before sep. 11, you'll read from pilots encouraging wanabes to start training now because "...this is the best time to get into the game...".
In retrospect it's all very clear. When you're faced with a desicion, the future is hazy. Just think positive, there's always something good in every situation.
Good luck.

scroggs
17th Oct 2001, 23:18
Kolja,
with the timescale you are talking about, there is no reason to delay your training. As you don't intend to start the training for another year to 18 months, you have plenty of time to assess how the market's going. I would thing that graduating in 2 to 3 years is ideal to capitalise on the eventual upturn.
Good luck!

xbxex
18th Oct 2001, 05:23
One more thing Kolja,
If your ultimate goal is to find employment in a European Airline, then don't get yourself an FAA Licence and then try to convert it into JAA. It seems that the convertion will cost more than the FAA Licence.

JJflyer
18th Oct 2001, 22:52
Kolja...

Go for it. I am sure that things will get better. Regarding training in US and having FAA licence. It is better to obtain JAA first and then get the US licence. Now you can enjoy the best of both worlds. Needles to say I went the other way and though flying big jets, I am still paying a price for it. I am uneployable in Europe until I have enough command hours to be able to get a validation.